Points
48
Solutions
0
I had been in California for three weeks when I bought the board.
It was old, sun-faded, and patched in two places near the nose, but the shape was decent and the price was low enough that I didn't have to think about it for long. I found it leaning against the wall of a small used sporting-goods shop outside San Clemente and carried it back to my apartment like I had just recovered something I had misplaced years earlier.
Everyone calls me Mano. I was twenty-two, from Rio de Janeiro, and supposedly in California for one reason: to finish my MBA in business.
At least that was the reason my family liked to give.
I had been surfing since I was a kid. Before I was old enough to drive, I was already waking before sunrise, carrying a board toward the water while most of Rio was still asleep. By the time I was eighteen, I had competed in enough amateur tournaments to bring home a few trophies and convince myself that maybe surfing could become something more than the thing I loved most.
My family had other ideas.
They never told me to stop surfing. Not exactly. They were smarter than that. They talked about university, business, opportunities, security, and all the things a responsible young man was supposed to want. Surfing slowly became something I was expected to fit around the important parts of my life.
Eventually, I did.
By the time I came to California, I hadn't entered a competition in years.
But I had never stopped looking at the ocean.
That old board changed something.
The first Saturday after I bought it, I woke before my alarm, loaded it into the car, and drove toward a break north of San Clemente that I had heard about from a guy at school. He called it North Reef.
I knew enough about surfing to understand what that name probably meant.
Every beach had rules that weren't written anywhere. Some were simple: don't snake somebody's wave, don't drop in, don't paddle straight through the lineup. Others depended entirely on where you were and who had been surfing there longer than you had.
And then there were places where the locals believed the ocean belonged to them.
Rio had taught me not to be stupid about that.
So I left while it was still dark.
By the time I reached North Reef, the eastern sky had only begun to lighten. The parking area was nearly empty, the air cool enough that I could see my breath for a second when I stepped out of the car.
I stood there with the board under my arm and listened to the waves breaking somewhere beyond the darkness.
For the first time since arriving in California, I wasn't thinking about classes, grades, internships, or what I was supposed to do after graduation.
I was thinking about the next wave.
That felt good.
It felt familiar.
I changed beside the car and carried the old board down toward the beach. By the time my feet touched the water, the first rays of sunlight were beginning to spread across the horizon.
I climbed onto the board and paddled out.
The water was cold enough to wake me completely.
I paddled past the break, sat up on the board, and watched the horizon. The swell was clean, not huge, but organized. The kind of morning where you could sit quietly and wait for the right one.
I had been out there maybe fifteen minutes when I looked back toward shore and saw a group of surfers entering the water.
There were five of them.
At first I didn't think much of it. I shifted on the board and looked back toward the horizon.
Then I noticed they weren't spreading out.
They were paddling directly toward me.
One of them moved ahead of the others. He looked to be around my age, maybe a little older, with wet blond hair pushed back from his face.
I didn't know his name yet, but I knew immediately he was the one they followed.
He stopped a few feet from me and sat up on his board.
“You new around here?”
“Yeah.”
“Where you from?”
“Brazil.”
He looked back at the others, then at me again.
“This is a local break.”
I waited.
“You can't surf here.”
There was no point arguing with him. I had seen this kind of thing before, and five against one wasn't the morning I had come looking for.
“All right.”
I turned the board toward shore.
“I'm leaving.”
I started paddling in.
I was halfway back when I felt the water lift beneath me.
I looked over my shoulder.
A clean wave was coming in behind me, lined up almost perfectly with the beach.
For a second, I considered letting it pass.
Then instinct took over.
I turned, paddled hard three times, felt the board catch, and pushed myself to my feet.
The old board came alive beneath me.
I dropped down the face, set the rail, and cut across the wave. It wasn't anything spectacular, but after years in the water my body didn't need instructions. I shifted my weight, climbed back toward the lip, turned sharply, and let the wave carry me toward shore.
By the time I stepped off in the shallows, I was smiling.
Then I looked back.
All five surfers were coming in behind me.
Nobody was smiling.
I carried the board back toward the parking lot and tried not to look behind me.
I could hear them anyway.
Bare feet on pavement. Boards being dropped into the sand. Voices low enough that I couldn't make out the words.
By the time I reached my car, they had caught up.
I opened the back and started putting my things away.
The five of them spread out around me.
The blond guy stopped a few feet away.
“I told you not to surf here.”
“I was leaving.”
“You took a wave.”
“To get to shore.”
He gave me a short laugh.
“That's not how it looked.”
I slid my wetsuit top off and tossed it into the car.
“I don't care how it looked.”
That changed something in his face.
One of the other guys walked around the side of my car.
I heard a sharp hiss.
I turned.
He was crouched beside the rear tire with a pocketknife in his hand.
The tire was already sinking toward the pavement.
“What the fuck?”
The blond guy stepped between us.
“Maybe next time you'll remember.”
I stared at him.
Then he reached for my board.
“Don't.”
He picked it up anyway.
It wasn't an expensive board. It wasn't even a particularly good board. But it was mine, and three weeks after arriving in California it had been the first thing that made me feel like myself again.
He put one knee against the middle of it.
“I'm serious.”
He looked directly at me and pushed.
The fiberglass cracked.
Something inside me went with it.
I stepped forward and shoved him hard in the chest.
He wasn't expecting it.
He stumbled backward and went down on the pavement.
Everything went quiet.
The other four moved closer.
I stood my ground.
The blond guy got back to his feet slowly, his face completely different now.
He dropped what was left of my board.
“Bad move.”
He came toward me.
Then a woman's voice cut across the parking lot.
“Enough, Ace! Let him go.”
Everyone stopped.
I looked toward the voice.
A dark Jeep Wrangler was parked a few spaces away. A woman sat behind the wheel with one arm resting on the open window, watching us.
Ace.
So that was his name.
The woman looked at him again.
“I said enough.”
This time, he listened.
Ace stared at her for another second, then bent down and picked up his board.
“Come on,” he said to the others.
Nobody argued.
They followed him back toward the beach, leaving me beside my car with one flat tire and a surfboard in two pieces.
I watched them go.
Then I opened the trunk and pulled out the spare.
A minute later, while I was crouched beside the car loosening the lug nuts, the woman in the Jeep called over to me.
“Hey, haole! What happened to your tire?”
I looked up at her.
She was trying not to smile.
“I think it had a disagreement with your friend.”
“My brother.”
“That explains a lot.”
She laughed.
“Ace has that effect on people.”
I went back to the tire.
For a few moments, she stayed quiet while I worked.
“You know what you're doing,” she said.
“We have flat tires in Brazil too.”
That made her laugh again.
“Brazil?”
“Rio.”
“What are you doing all the way out here?”
“School. MBA.”
She looked at the broken board lying beside the car.
“And surfing.”
“Apparently not at this beach.”
She shook her head.
“Ace gets stupid about North Reef.”
“I noticed.”
I tightened the last lug nut and lowered the car back onto the pavement.
When I stood up, she was still there.
“My name's Rosa,” she said.
“Mano.”
She nodded toward the broken board.
“Bring that to Hatha.”
“What’s Hatha?”
“My shop. Next to the gas station.”
I looked down at the board.
“I don't think there's much left to save.”
“There is.”
“I’m used to fixing what Ace breaks.”
She started the Jeep.
Before I could answer, she pulled out of the parking space and drove toward the road.
I stood there for a moment, looking at the broken board.
Then I put both pieces in the car.
I found Hatha the next afternoon.
It was tucked into a narrow building with a faded wooden sign above the entrance.
The name was painted in large letters across the front.
HATHA.
Beside it was an old circular logo divided between a sun and a crescent moon.
I carried the two pieces of my board inside.
The place smelled like wax, fiberglass, and resin.
Boards lined one wall from floor to ceiling. Some were new, some used, and several near the back had masking tape marking cracks and damaged rails waiting to be repaired.
Rosa was behind a workbench when she saw me. In daylight, I could finally get a good look at her. She was around my age, maybe a little older, with long dark-blond hair pulled loosely behind her head and skin browned by years in the California sun. She wore faded shorts, a black tank top, and no shoes. There was something effortlessly sexy about her, though I wasn't sure yet if it was the way she looked or the confidence she carried.
“You actually brought it.”
“You told me to.”
I set the pieces on the workbench.
She looked them over without saying anything.
I glanced toward the sign painted on the inside wall, the same sun-and-moon circle beneath the name.
“What does Hatha mean?”
“Sun and moon.”
She ran her fingers along the broken edge of the board.
“My grandfather named it.”
“That was his logo too?”
“Everything in here was his.”
She said it casually, then turned her attention back to the board.
I expected her to tell me it was finished.
Instead, she pushed the two broken sections together, checked the alignment, and studied the stringer.
“He didn't get through it clean.”
“That's good?”
“For me, yes. For Ace, it just means he doesn't know how to break a surfboard properly.”
I laughed.
Rosa pulled the board closer and began examining the fiberglass around the break.
“This board's been repaired before.”
“I figured. I bought it used.”
Rosa pointed toward the nose, then ran a finger along the left rail.
“Here and here.”
I looked closer.
“You can tell that just by looking at it?”
She shrugged.
“Easy to see.”
Then she started explaining how she would brace the stringer, rebuild the foam around the break, and glass the board again.
I stopped thinking of her as the woman in the Jeep.
She knew boards.
Not just enough to sell them or patch a ding. She knew how they were built, where they failed, and how to put one back together.
“How long?” I asked.
“A few days.”
“You can really save it?”
Rosa looked at me.
“I told you yesterday.”
“There is.”
Then she smiled and reached for her tools.
The repair took four days.
I managed to stop by Hatha three of them.
The first time, I told myself I wanted to see how the board was coming along. The second time, I brought coffee. By the third, I stopped pretending I needed a reason.
Rosa worked while we talked.
She learned that I had started surfing as a kid in Rio and that I had competed for several years.
“You ever win anything?”
“A few.”
“A few what?”
“Tournaments.”
She stopped sanding and looked at me.
“You forgot to mention that.”
“It never came up.”
She smiled and went back to the board.
After that, she started asking more questions.
By the time the board was ready, Rosa knew enough about me to ask the question I had been avoiding.
“If you were winning tournaments, why did you stop?”
I leaned against the workbench.
“My family wanted me to focus on school.”
“They made you quit?”
“No.”
I shook my head.
“They never said I couldn't surf. They just wanted me to have something more stable. Business, a career, something they could understand.”
“And you listened.”
“Mostly.”
Rosa smiled.
“You're standing in a surf shop in California.”
“I said mostly.”
She laughed.
I looked toward the boards along the wall.
“My parents meant well. They still do. They just never understood that surfing wasn't something I did because I had nothing better to do.”
Rosa waited.
“When I'm in the water, I feel more like myself than anywhere else.”
She didn't say anything for a moment.
Then she looked around Hatha.
“I understand that.”
I followed her eyes toward the old sun-and-moon logo.
“You said this was your grandfather's.”
“Yeah. He started Hatha a long time ago.”
“He taught you to surf?”
“He taught both of us.”
“Ace too?”
Rosa nodded.
“Our parents died when we were young. Grandpa raised us.”
It was the first time she had mentioned her parents.
“I'm sorry.”
“It was a long time ago.”
She said it easily, but I could tell that didn't mean it was easy.
“He was everything to us,” she said. “The shop, the beach, surfing. Pretty much our whole life came from him.”
“And then you took over Hatha?”
“When he died.”
She picked up a rag and wiped fiberglass dust from the workbench.
“Ace was still a kid.”
I looked at her.
“So you raised him.”
Rosa gave a small shrug.
“Finished the job.”
Suddenly, a few things about her made more sense.
The way Ace had stopped when she told him to. The way she had stayed behind after everyone else went back to the water. The way she had said she was used to fixing what he broke.
“You gave up a lot.”
She looked at me.
“Everybody gives up something.”
Then she smiled.
“Some of us just get better at pretending we didn't.”
A few days later, I stopped by Hatha again.
Rosa was behind the counter when she looked up at me.
“So?”
“So what?”
“The board.”
“What about it?”
“Have you surfed it yet?”
I shook my head.
“Haven't had a chance.”
She stared at me.
“You came all the way from Brazil, bought a surfboard three weeks after getting here, got it broken, waited four days for me to fix it, and now you don't have time to surf?”
“When you put it like that, it sounds bad.”
“It sounds terrible.”
I laughed.
Rosa glanced toward the clock on the wall.
“You busy tomorrow morning?”
“Depends.”
“On what?”
“Whether you're taking me back to North Reef.”
“Not a chance.”
She smiled.
“I know another place.”
The next morning, I followed her Jeep south along the coast.
The beach was quieter than North Reef, with a wide stretch of sand and a clean shoulder breaking farther outside.
Rosa was already pulling her board from the Jeep when I parked.
“Let's see if my repair survives you.”
“You're worried?”
“About the board? No.”
She looked toward the water.
“About you, maybe.”
We paddled out together.
For the first few waves, I took it easy. I wanted to feel how the board handled after the repair.
It felt good.
Better than good.
On the next set, I turned and paddled hard.
The wave lifted me, and everything else disappeared.
I dropped down the face, drove off the bottom, and came back toward the lip. The board held perfectly. I turned again, faster this time, and carried the speed all the way through the section.
When I kicked out and paddled back, Rosa was sitting on her board watching me.
“What?”
She shook her head.
“Nothing.”
“That didn't look like nothing.”
“You really did leave something out when you said you won a few tournaments.”
I smiled.
“You asked if I won. You didn't ask how I surfed.”
Rosa laughed.
“Okay, Brazil.”
She nodded toward the horizon.
“Show me again.”
So I did.
Rosa was good too.
She surfed differently from me, smoother and less aggressive, reading the wave early and never wasting a movement. I liked watching her almost as much as I liked catching my own.
For a while, we traded waves back and forth, laughing whenever one of us paddled for the same set.
I had forgotten how good it felt to share the water with someone.
A week later, Rosa invited me to a firepit gathering after sunset at the beach.
“Just some people from around here,” she said.
I knew what that meant.
The locals.
When we reached the beach, the fire was already burning in the distance.
We were still fifty yards from the firepit when I heard Jane’s Addiction coming through the darkness, mixed with the surf and the crackle of burning wood. Rosa was walking beside me.
For the first time in my life, I really didn't know why, but I felt at home.
Maybe it was the music. Maybe the ocean. Maybe walking toward a group of surfers with a girl who had somehow become part of my life without me noticing exactly when it happened.
Whatever it was, I didn't question it.
There were about a dozen people around the fire, some sitting on blankets, others standing with beers in their hands. A few boards were lying farther up the sand.
I recognized several faces immediately.
Including Ace.
He saw me walking beside Rosa and didn't exactly look happy about it, but he didn't say anything.
Rosa led me toward the fire.
“Everybody, this is Mano.”
A guy sitting on a cooler looked up at me.
“Where you from?”
“Rio.”
“Brazil?”
“Yeah.”
Another guy handed me a beer.
“You surf?”
Before I could answer, Rosa did.
“A little.”
I looked at her.
She was smiling.
“A little?” I asked.
She shrugged.
“That's what you told me.”
A few of them laughed.
I sat down beside her near the fire.
After that, things became easier.
They asked about Rio, the beaches I had surfed, how long I had been in California, and what I was studying. Nobody asked me what had happened at North Reef.
I appreciated that.
Before long, we were arguing about boards, waves, and which breaks were overrated, the same conversations surfers probably had around fires on beaches everywhere.
For once, I wasn't the foreign MBA student trying to figure out California.
I was just another guy talking about surfing.
Ace stayed mostly on the other side of the fire.
Every now and then, though, I caught him looking at Rosa and me.
Later, when Rosa got up to grab another drink from a cooler, Ace followed her.
They stopped only a few yards away. I wasn't trying to listen, but the music had gone quieter and their voices carried between the waves.
“What’s going on with you and him?” Ace asked.
Rosa glanced toward me.
“Nothing.”
“Bullshit.”
“He's my friend.”
“Since when do you bring friends here?”
Rosa didn't answer.
Ace lowered his voice, but I still heard the next question.
“He going back to Brazil when school’s done?”
This time Rosa looked at him differently.
“I don't know.”
Ace nodded once.
“Maybe you should.”
He walked back toward the fire.
Rosa stayed beside the cooler for a few seconds longer.
When she returned, she sat beside me again as if nothing had happened.
But something had.
Until that moment, I hadn't thought much about what came after California either.
Later that night, the fire began to burn low and people slowly started leaving.
Rosa and I stayed until only a few surfers were still sitting around the embers.
“You want to walk?” she asked.
“Sure.”
We left the fire behind and followed the shoreline.
For a while, neither of us said much. The beach was darker away from the fire, and the water came up around our feet before sliding back across the sand.
I kept thinking about what Ace had asked her.
Rosa finally looked at me.
“You heard him, didn't you?”
“Some of it.”
She smiled.
“Meaning all of it.”
“Pretty much.”
She looked toward the ocean.
“He worries about me.”
“He has an interesting way of showing it.”
That made her laugh.
“He's gotten better.”
“I'd hate to know what he was like before.”
We walked a little farther.
Then Rosa asked the question herself.
“Are you going back?”
“To Brazil?”
“When you're done with school.”
I looked out at the dark water.
“I don't know.”
It was the truth.
When I had arrived in California, I had assumed I would finish the MBA and figure out the rest later.
It didn't seem so simple anymore.
Rosa nodded but didn't say anything.
“What about you?” I asked.
“What about me?”
“You ever think about leaving San Clemente?”
“Sometimes.”
“But?”
She looked back toward the distant glow of the fire.
“But I've spent most of my life staying.”
I understood what she meant.
Ace. Hatha. Her grandfather. Everything that had needed her.
We stopped walking.
Rosa turned toward me.
For a few seconds, neither of us spoke.
The attraction had been there for a while. I knew that now. Maybe since the Jeep. Maybe since Hatha. Maybe since the first time we shared a wave and I realized how much I liked seeing her beside me in the water.
I reached up and brushed a strand of dark-blond hair away from her face.
She didn't move away.
So I kissed her.
It was soft at first, almost careful.
Then Rosa put one hand behind my neck and kissed me again.
This time there was nothing careful about it.
When we finally pulled apart, she stayed close enough that I could feel her breath against my face.
“Well,” she said.
“Well what?”
She smiled.
“Now Ace really has something to worry about.”
I laughed and kissed her again.
A few days after our first kiss, I stopped by Hatha near closing time.
Rosa locked the front door after the last customer left, then looked at me.
“Come here. I want to show you something.”
She led me past the workbench and through a door near the back of the shop.
I had seen the door before, but never had a reason to ask what was behind it.
The room was smaller than the main workshop. Shaping tools hung along one wall, fiberglass cloth was stacked on shelves, and fine white dust covered almost everything.
A surfboard rested on two padded stands in the center of the room.
It was unfinished.
No graphics. No logo. Just the clean shape of the board itself.
Rosa stood beside it.
“I've been working on this for months.”
I stepped closer.
“You shaped it?”
“From scratch.”
There was something different in her voice. Rosa was usually confident about everything she did at Hatha, but now she seemed almost nervous.
“You showed it to anyone?”
She shook her head.
“Not yet.”
That made me look at the board differently.
She wasn't showing me another repair or something she planned to put on the sales floor.
She was showing me something that was hers.
Her idea.
Her risk.
I ran my hand slowly along one of the rails.
“What were you trying to do?”
Rosa moved beside me.
“I wanted something made for the waves around here. Fast enough when they're smaller, but still stable when they get some size. Something that turns easily without feeling loose.”
I crouched and looked along the rocker.
She had kept enough curve through the nose to handle a steeper drop, but the middle was flatter than I expected.
I checked the tail, then ran my fingers along the contours underneath.
Rosa didn't say anything.
I could feel her watching me.
I stood and looked at the board again from nose to tail.
“This is really good.”
She smiled, but only a little.
“You don't have to say that.”
“I'm not.”
I pointed toward the middle of the board.
“This should carry speed really well. And the tail is going to let you turn it harder without losing control.”
“You think?”
“I do.”
I looked at her.
“Rosa, I don't mean it looks good.”
I put my hand back on the rail.
“I mean I want to surf it.”
That was when she really smiled.
“What do you call it?” I asked.
“I don't.”
“What?”
“It doesn't have a name yet.”
I looked at the board.
Then at her.
“Surfer Rosa.”
For half a second she just stared at me.
Then she laughed.
“You know the Pixies?”
“That album was practically a religion in my house when I was a teenager.”
She looked down at the board again.
“Surfer Rosa,” she repeated, looking down at the board.
Then she smiled.
“Yeah. That's her.”
It took Rosa another two weeks to finish the board.
When she finally showed it to me, the first thing I noticed wasn't the shape.
It was the logo.
She had kept the old Hatha circle with the sun and crescent moon, but now a small rose sat between them. Around the outside of the circle were two words.
SURFER ROSA.
I looked at her.
“You kept Hatha.”
“Of course.”
She ran her fingertips over the new logo.
“Sun, moon, and rose.”
I smiled.
“Your grandfather would approve.”
“I hope so.”
I expected her to tell me we would test it the following morning.
Instead, she said, “Friday night.”
“At night?”
“Full moon.”
She smiled.
“And we're going to North Reef.”
That caught me by surprise.
“You sure Ace won't slash the Jeep's tires this time?”
“He wouldn't dare.”
Just before midnight on Friday, we carried our boards down toward North Reef.
The beach looked completely different under the moonlight. There were no fires, no music, no voices from the parking lot. Only the sound of the waves and the pale reflection of the moon stretching across the water.
Rosa stopped near the shoreline.
“This is why.”
“Why what?”
“Hatha.”
I looked at her.
She nodded toward the moon.
“Grandpa used to surf nights like this.”
“He surfed North Reef at midnight?”
“All the time when the moon was full. Him and some of the old guys around here.”
She looked toward the water.
“They believed this was when you could feel the ocean differently. No crowds. No distractions. You couldn't see everything the way you could during the day, so you had to feel more of it.”
Then she smiled.
“Grandpa used to say the sun showed you the ocean. The moon made you feel it.”
I remembered the old circle above the entrance to Hatha.
“Sun and moon.”
“Exactly.”
For the first time, I understood that the logo wasn't just a logo.
Rosa handed me Surfer Rosa.
“You ready?”
“I've been ready for two weeks.”
We paddled out together.
Surfing at night felt strange at first. I couldn't read the ocean the way I could in daylight. I had to feel it instead. The swell lifting beneath me, the current pulling at my legs, the water moving through and around my body. For the first time, I understood what Rosa's grandfather meant. The ocean didn't feel like something I was surfing on. It felt alive beneath me, and for a few moments I felt like I was moving with it.
Rosa took the first wave.
I watched her disappear down the face and reappear farther along the shoulder, moving almost effortlessly through the silver water.
When she paddled back out, she pointed at the board beneath me.
“Your turn.”
The next set came a few minutes later.
I turned Surfer Rosa toward shore and paddled.
The board caught the wave immediately.
I stood, dropped down the face, and drove through the first turn.
Everything Rosa had been trying to build into the board was there.
Speed.
Control.
Responsiveness.
I pushed harder through the next turn, and the board followed without hesitation.
By the time I kicked out, I was laughing.
Rosa was waiting when I paddled back.
“Well?”
I shook my head.
“You made a hell of a surfboard.”
Her smile was brighter than the moonlight.
For the next hour, we traded waves at North Reef.
There was nobody there to tell me I didn't belong.
Just Rosa, the moon, and the ocean.
Eventually we paddled back to shore and left the boards above the tide line.
We sat together on the sand, still wet, looking out at the water.
Surfer Rosa rested a few feet away, the moon reflecting off her fresh fiberglass.
Rosa leaned into me and rested her head against my shoulder.
For a while, we just listened to the ocean.
“My grandfather used to say the sun showed you the ocean,” she said quietly. “But the moon made you feel it.”
I looked out at the water.
I understood it then. Not just the words. The feeling behind them.
“Hatha,” I said.
She lifted her head and looked at me.
“You get it.”
It wasn't a question.
I smiled.
“I think I finally do.”
She rested her head against me again.
“My grandfather would have liked you.”
“You think so?”
“He would've made you prove yourself first.”
I laughed.
“Sounds familiar.”
She looked up at me.
I reached up and touched her face. Her skin was cool from the water and warm underneath.
Then she kissed me.
There was no uncertainty between us this time.
It was soft at first. Her lips parted. Her hand came up to my jaw.
The kiss deepened.
We broke apart just enough to breathe. Her forehead rested against mine.
"I've wanted this," she said.
"Me too."
She kissed me again. This time there was no hesitation.
I spread my jacket out on the sand. She lowered herself onto it. I knelt beside her.
Her wetsuit was still damp. I found the zipper at her chest and pulled it down slowly. The moonlight revealed her skin inch by inch. Her collarbone. Her shoulders. The tops of her breasts.
She watched me the whole time.
I helped her peel the suit off her arms. She lifted her hips so I could work it down her legs. Then she lay before me in nothing but moonlight.
Her skin glistened. Her hair spread dark against the jacket. The ocean breathed beside us.
I wanted to remember every detail.
"Your turn," she whispered.
She sat up and unzipped my wetsuit. Her hands moved over my chest as she pushed it off my shoulders. Her fingertips traced down my stomach.
When we were both bare, I lay down beside her.
She turned toward me. Her leg hooked over mine. Her skin against my skin.
We kissed again. Slow. Deep. Her body pressed against mine.
My hand moved down her back. Her breath caught. Her fingers traced my spine.
The waves kept their rhythm.
I moved over her. She pulled me closer. Her legs wrapped around my waist.
When I entered her, we both stilled.
The moon hung above us. The ocean sounded all around.
Her eyes never left mine.
We moved together. Slow at first. Her hands on my back. Her breath against my neck.
The world narrowed to her skin and the sound of the water.
I felt her body tighten. Her fingers dug into my shoulders. She whispered my name.
And I followed her.
For a long moment, nothing existed except her warmth and the moonlight and the low hum of the Pacific.
I lowered myself beside her. She curled into me. Her head found my chest.
We lay there without speaking.
The ocean kept coming. The moon held its place.
After a while, she lifted her head.
"I don't want this night to end," she said.
I brushed the hair from her face.
"Then let's stay until sunrise."
She looked at me. The moonlight caught the shine in her eyes.
"Stay," she said.
Not a question. A promise.
She settled against me again. My arm wrapped around her.
I looked past her at the boards on the sand. Surfer Rosa caught the silver light. The sun, moon, and rose painted together on her nose.
That night, North Reef no longer felt like the beach where I had been told to leave.
It felt like somewhere Rosa had invited me to stay.
A few mornings later, Rosa asked if I wanted to surf North Reef again.
This time, she meant during the day.
When we came down the beach carrying our boards, Ace was standing on the sand with a few of the others.
I had Surfer Rosa under my arm.
Ace looked at me, then at the board.
At least this time he didn't seem interested in breaking it.
I slowed near the water and looked out at the break, then back at Ace. I wasn't exactly asking permission, but after what had happened the first time, I wanted to know where we stood.
“You gonna stand there all morning, Brazil?”
I looked at him.
Ace picked up his board and nodded toward the water.
“Paddle out.”
That was it.
No apology. No speech. No discussion about whether I belonged there.
Ace walked toward the water.
Rosa looked at me and smiled.
Then the three of us paddled out together.
Over the next few weeks, North Reef became part of my routine.
I never tried to prove anything to anyone. I just surfed.
That turned out to be enough.
Ace and I never became friends overnight. For a while, we barely spoke unless it was about the waves.
The guys who had once followed me into the parking lot started calling out waves for me. We traded boards, argued about conditions, and waited together through flat mornings for sets that sometimes never came.
Little by little, the tension disappeared.
Ace was still Ace.
He rarely gave compliments, and I never expected one.
But he stopped looking at me like I was somewhere I shouldn't be.
Before long, I wasn't the Brazilian who had shown up at North Reef.
I was just Mano.
Most days, Rosa and I stayed out longer than everyone else.
One by one, the others would paddle in until it was just the two of us waiting for the last waves of the day.
We got used to surfing through sunset, watching the sky change while the water turned darker beneath our boards.
A few months later, one of the guys at North Reef told us about an open surfing tournament farther up the coast.
“You should enter,” he told me.
I laughed it off at first.
Competition belonged to another part of my life. One I thought I had already left behind.
Rosa didn't let me hide from it.
“You love this,” she said. “Stop acting like you need to apologize for it.”
The entry fee and travel costs were more than I wanted to spend, but a few days later Ace handed me an envelope.
The guys from North Reef had put the money together.
I looked at him.
“You serious?”
Ace shrugged.
“Just don't embarrass us, Brazil.”
So I entered.
And I rode Surfer Rosa.
The board drew attention before my first heat was even over. People asked about the logo, the shape, who had made it.
Rosa was more nervous than I was.
For me, it was a return to competition.
For her, it was the first time something she had created was being judged in public.
I made it through the early heats.
Then the semifinals.
Then the final.
When the scores came in and my name was announced as the winner, I heard the North Reef crew before I saw them.
Ace was yelling louder than anyone.
Rosa ran toward me when I came out of the water.
I lifted Surfer Rosa between us.
“You made a winning board.”
She kissed me.
“We made a pretty good team.”
After that, people started coming into Hatha asking about the board.
At first, Rosa made them one at a time.
Then the orders started coming faster.
She kept the name.
Surfer Rosa.
Rosa shaped the boards.
I used everything I had learned in business school to help her figure out the rest.
For the first time, my MBA and surfing didn't feel like two different lives.
They finally belonged to the same one.
A few years later, Rosa and I were married.
Hatha was still there beside the gas station, with the same faded name above the entrance and the same sun-and-moon circle her grandfather had designed decades earlier.
We never changed that.
Inside, though, one entire wall belonged to Surfer Rosa.
What had started as a single board hidden in the back of the shop had become a line of boards ridden up and down the California coast.
Rosa still designed and shaped them.
I handled most of the business side, worked with suppliers and shops, and tested every new shape she was willing to let me ride.
Ace was still around too.
He helped at Hatha when we needed him, surfed North Reef more than anyone I knew, and continued pretending he had never been the guy who once broke my first California board.
I never reminded him.
Much.
Some things changed.
Others didn't.
Whenever the moon was full and the conditions were right, Rosa and I still closed Hatha early, loaded two boards into the Jeep, and drove to North Reef.
We would paddle out near midnight and stay in the water until we were tired, surfing beneath the same silver light her grandfather had loved.
Then we would leave the boards above the tide line, make love beneath the full moon, and stay wrapped around each other on the beach until sunrise.
Years had passed since that first night, but somehow the ocean still felt different under a full moon.
Rosa would sometimes rest her head against my shoulder and look out at the water.
And every time, I remembered what her grandfather used to say.
The sun shows you the ocean.
The moon makes you feel it.
Now our children know those words too. Someday, their children will.
With Rosa beside me, I was home.
It was old, sun-faded, and patched in two places near the nose, but the shape was decent and the price was low enough that I didn't have to think about it for long. I found it leaning against the wall of a small used sporting-goods shop outside San Clemente and carried it back to my apartment like I had just recovered something I had misplaced years earlier.
Everyone calls me Mano. I was twenty-two, from Rio de Janeiro, and supposedly in California for one reason: to finish my MBA in business.
At least that was the reason my family liked to give.
I had been surfing since I was a kid. Before I was old enough to drive, I was already waking before sunrise, carrying a board toward the water while most of Rio was still asleep. By the time I was eighteen, I had competed in enough amateur tournaments to bring home a few trophies and convince myself that maybe surfing could become something more than the thing I loved most.
My family had other ideas.
They never told me to stop surfing. Not exactly. They were smarter than that. They talked about university, business, opportunities, security, and all the things a responsible young man was supposed to want. Surfing slowly became something I was expected to fit around the important parts of my life.
Eventually, I did.
By the time I came to California, I hadn't entered a competition in years.
But I had never stopped looking at the ocean.
That old board changed something.
The first Saturday after I bought it, I woke before my alarm, loaded it into the car, and drove toward a break north of San Clemente that I had heard about from a guy at school. He called it North Reef.
I knew enough about surfing to understand what that name probably meant.
Every beach had rules that weren't written anywhere. Some were simple: don't snake somebody's wave, don't drop in, don't paddle straight through the lineup. Others depended entirely on where you were and who had been surfing there longer than you had.
And then there were places where the locals believed the ocean belonged to them.
Rio had taught me not to be stupid about that.
So I left while it was still dark.
By the time I reached North Reef, the eastern sky had only begun to lighten. The parking area was nearly empty, the air cool enough that I could see my breath for a second when I stepped out of the car.
I stood there with the board under my arm and listened to the waves breaking somewhere beyond the darkness.
For the first time since arriving in California, I wasn't thinking about classes, grades, internships, or what I was supposed to do after graduation.
I was thinking about the next wave.
That felt good.
It felt familiar.
I changed beside the car and carried the old board down toward the beach. By the time my feet touched the water, the first rays of sunlight were beginning to spread across the horizon.
I climbed onto the board and paddled out.
The water was cold enough to wake me completely.
I paddled past the break, sat up on the board, and watched the horizon. The swell was clean, not huge, but organized. The kind of morning where you could sit quietly and wait for the right one.
I had been out there maybe fifteen minutes when I looked back toward shore and saw a group of surfers entering the water.
There were five of them.
At first I didn't think much of it. I shifted on the board and looked back toward the horizon.
Then I noticed they weren't spreading out.
They were paddling directly toward me.
One of them moved ahead of the others. He looked to be around my age, maybe a little older, with wet blond hair pushed back from his face.
I didn't know his name yet, but I knew immediately he was the one they followed.
He stopped a few feet from me and sat up on his board.
“You new around here?”
“Yeah.”
“Where you from?”
“Brazil.”
He looked back at the others, then at me again.
“This is a local break.”
I waited.
“You can't surf here.”
There was no point arguing with him. I had seen this kind of thing before, and five against one wasn't the morning I had come looking for.
“All right.”
I turned the board toward shore.
“I'm leaving.”
I started paddling in.
I was halfway back when I felt the water lift beneath me.
I looked over my shoulder.
A clean wave was coming in behind me, lined up almost perfectly with the beach.
For a second, I considered letting it pass.
Then instinct took over.
I turned, paddled hard three times, felt the board catch, and pushed myself to my feet.
The old board came alive beneath me.
I dropped down the face, set the rail, and cut across the wave. It wasn't anything spectacular, but after years in the water my body didn't need instructions. I shifted my weight, climbed back toward the lip, turned sharply, and let the wave carry me toward shore.
By the time I stepped off in the shallows, I was smiling.
Then I looked back.
All five surfers were coming in behind me.
Nobody was smiling.
I carried the board back toward the parking lot and tried not to look behind me.
I could hear them anyway.
Bare feet on pavement. Boards being dropped into the sand. Voices low enough that I couldn't make out the words.
By the time I reached my car, they had caught up.
I opened the back and started putting my things away.
The five of them spread out around me.
The blond guy stopped a few feet away.
“I told you not to surf here.”
“I was leaving.”
“You took a wave.”
“To get to shore.”
He gave me a short laugh.
“That's not how it looked.”
I slid my wetsuit top off and tossed it into the car.
“I don't care how it looked.”
That changed something in his face.
One of the other guys walked around the side of my car.
I heard a sharp hiss.
I turned.
He was crouched beside the rear tire with a pocketknife in his hand.
The tire was already sinking toward the pavement.
“What the fuck?”
The blond guy stepped between us.
“Maybe next time you'll remember.”
I stared at him.
Then he reached for my board.
“Don't.”
He picked it up anyway.
It wasn't an expensive board. It wasn't even a particularly good board. But it was mine, and three weeks after arriving in California it had been the first thing that made me feel like myself again.
He put one knee against the middle of it.
“I'm serious.”
He looked directly at me and pushed.
The fiberglass cracked.
Something inside me went with it.
I stepped forward and shoved him hard in the chest.
He wasn't expecting it.
He stumbled backward and went down on the pavement.
Everything went quiet.
The other four moved closer.
I stood my ground.
The blond guy got back to his feet slowly, his face completely different now.
He dropped what was left of my board.
“Bad move.”
He came toward me.
Then a woman's voice cut across the parking lot.
“Enough, Ace! Let him go.”
Everyone stopped.
I looked toward the voice.
A dark Jeep Wrangler was parked a few spaces away. A woman sat behind the wheel with one arm resting on the open window, watching us.
Ace.
So that was his name.
The woman looked at him again.
“I said enough.”
This time, he listened.
Ace stared at her for another second, then bent down and picked up his board.
“Come on,” he said to the others.
Nobody argued.
They followed him back toward the beach, leaving me beside my car with one flat tire and a surfboard in two pieces.
I watched them go.
Then I opened the trunk and pulled out the spare.
A minute later, while I was crouched beside the car loosening the lug nuts, the woman in the Jeep called over to me.
“Hey, haole! What happened to your tire?”
I looked up at her.
She was trying not to smile.
“I think it had a disagreement with your friend.”
“My brother.”
“That explains a lot.”
She laughed.
“Ace has that effect on people.”
I went back to the tire.
For a few moments, she stayed quiet while I worked.
“You know what you're doing,” she said.
“We have flat tires in Brazil too.”
That made her laugh again.
“Brazil?”
“Rio.”
“What are you doing all the way out here?”
“School. MBA.”
She looked at the broken board lying beside the car.
“And surfing.”
“Apparently not at this beach.”
She shook her head.
“Ace gets stupid about North Reef.”
“I noticed.”
I tightened the last lug nut and lowered the car back onto the pavement.
When I stood up, she was still there.
“My name's Rosa,” she said.
“Mano.”
She nodded toward the broken board.
“Bring that to Hatha.”
“What’s Hatha?”
“My shop. Next to the gas station.”
I looked down at the board.
“I don't think there's much left to save.”
“There is.”
“I’m used to fixing what Ace breaks.”
She started the Jeep.
Before I could answer, she pulled out of the parking space and drove toward the road.
I stood there for a moment, looking at the broken board.
Then I put both pieces in the car.
I found Hatha the next afternoon.
It was tucked into a narrow building with a faded wooden sign above the entrance.
The name was painted in large letters across the front.
HATHA.
Beside it was an old circular logo divided between a sun and a crescent moon.
I carried the two pieces of my board inside.
The place smelled like wax, fiberglass, and resin.
Boards lined one wall from floor to ceiling. Some were new, some used, and several near the back had masking tape marking cracks and damaged rails waiting to be repaired.
Rosa was behind a workbench when she saw me. In daylight, I could finally get a good look at her. She was around my age, maybe a little older, with long dark-blond hair pulled loosely behind her head and skin browned by years in the California sun. She wore faded shorts, a black tank top, and no shoes. There was something effortlessly sexy about her, though I wasn't sure yet if it was the way she looked or the confidence she carried.
“You actually brought it.”
“You told me to.”
I set the pieces on the workbench.
She looked them over without saying anything.
I glanced toward the sign painted on the inside wall, the same sun-and-moon circle beneath the name.
“What does Hatha mean?”
“Sun and moon.”
She ran her fingers along the broken edge of the board.
“My grandfather named it.”
“That was his logo too?”
“Everything in here was his.”
She said it casually, then turned her attention back to the board.
I expected her to tell me it was finished.
Instead, she pushed the two broken sections together, checked the alignment, and studied the stringer.
“He didn't get through it clean.”
“That's good?”
“For me, yes. For Ace, it just means he doesn't know how to break a surfboard properly.”
I laughed.
Rosa pulled the board closer and began examining the fiberglass around the break.
“This board's been repaired before.”
“I figured. I bought it used.”
Rosa pointed toward the nose, then ran a finger along the left rail.
“Here and here.”
I looked closer.
“You can tell that just by looking at it?”
She shrugged.
“Easy to see.”
Then she started explaining how she would brace the stringer, rebuild the foam around the break, and glass the board again.
I stopped thinking of her as the woman in the Jeep.
She knew boards.
Not just enough to sell them or patch a ding. She knew how they were built, where they failed, and how to put one back together.
“How long?” I asked.
“A few days.”
“You can really save it?”
Rosa looked at me.
“I told you yesterday.”
“There is.”
Then she smiled and reached for her tools.
The repair took four days.
I managed to stop by Hatha three of them.
The first time, I told myself I wanted to see how the board was coming along. The second time, I brought coffee. By the third, I stopped pretending I needed a reason.
Rosa worked while we talked.
She learned that I had started surfing as a kid in Rio and that I had competed for several years.
“You ever win anything?”
“A few.”
“A few what?”
“Tournaments.”
She stopped sanding and looked at me.
“You forgot to mention that.”
“It never came up.”
She smiled and went back to the board.
After that, she started asking more questions.
By the time the board was ready, Rosa knew enough about me to ask the question I had been avoiding.
“If you were winning tournaments, why did you stop?”
I leaned against the workbench.
“My family wanted me to focus on school.”
“They made you quit?”
“No.”
I shook my head.
“They never said I couldn't surf. They just wanted me to have something more stable. Business, a career, something they could understand.”
“And you listened.”
“Mostly.”
Rosa smiled.
“You're standing in a surf shop in California.”
“I said mostly.”
She laughed.
I looked toward the boards along the wall.
“My parents meant well. They still do. They just never understood that surfing wasn't something I did because I had nothing better to do.”
Rosa waited.
“When I'm in the water, I feel more like myself than anywhere else.”
She didn't say anything for a moment.
Then she looked around Hatha.
“I understand that.”
I followed her eyes toward the old sun-and-moon logo.
“You said this was your grandfather's.”
“Yeah. He started Hatha a long time ago.”
“He taught you to surf?”
“He taught both of us.”
“Ace too?”
Rosa nodded.
“Our parents died when we were young. Grandpa raised us.”
It was the first time she had mentioned her parents.
“I'm sorry.”
“It was a long time ago.”
She said it easily, but I could tell that didn't mean it was easy.
“He was everything to us,” she said. “The shop, the beach, surfing. Pretty much our whole life came from him.”
“And then you took over Hatha?”
“When he died.”
She picked up a rag and wiped fiberglass dust from the workbench.
“Ace was still a kid.”
I looked at her.
“So you raised him.”
Rosa gave a small shrug.
“Finished the job.”
Suddenly, a few things about her made more sense.
The way Ace had stopped when she told him to. The way she had stayed behind after everyone else went back to the water. The way she had said she was used to fixing what he broke.
“You gave up a lot.”
She looked at me.
“Everybody gives up something.”
Then she smiled.
“Some of us just get better at pretending we didn't.”
A few days later, I stopped by Hatha again.
Rosa was behind the counter when she looked up at me.
“So?”
“So what?”
“The board.”
“What about it?”
“Have you surfed it yet?”
I shook my head.
“Haven't had a chance.”
She stared at me.
“You came all the way from Brazil, bought a surfboard three weeks after getting here, got it broken, waited four days for me to fix it, and now you don't have time to surf?”
“When you put it like that, it sounds bad.”
“It sounds terrible.”
I laughed.
Rosa glanced toward the clock on the wall.
“You busy tomorrow morning?”
“Depends.”
“On what?”
“Whether you're taking me back to North Reef.”
“Not a chance.”
She smiled.
“I know another place.”
The next morning, I followed her Jeep south along the coast.
The beach was quieter than North Reef, with a wide stretch of sand and a clean shoulder breaking farther outside.
Rosa was already pulling her board from the Jeep when I parked.
“Let's see if my repair survives you.”
“You're worried?”
“About the board? No.”
She looked toward the water.
“About you, maybe.”
We paddled out together.
For the first few waves, I took it easy. I wanted to feel how the board handled after the repair.
It felt good.
Better than good.
On the next set, I turned and paddled hard.
The wave lifted me, and everything else disappeared.
I dropped down the face, drove off the bottom, and came back toward the lip. The board held perfectly. I turned again, faster this time, and carried the speed all the way through the section.
When I kicked out and paddled back, Rosa was sitting on her board watching me.
“What?”
She shook her head.
“Nothing.”
“That didn't look like nothing.”
“You really did leave something out when you said you won a few tournaments.”
I smiled.
“You asked if I won. You didn't ask how I surfed.”
Rosa laughed.
“Okay, Brazil.”
She nodded toward the horizon.
“Show me again.”
So I did.
Rosa was good too.
She surfed differently from me, smoother and less aggressive, reading the wave early and never wasting a movement. I liked watching her almost as much as I liked catching my own.
For a while, we traded waves back and forth, laughing whenever one of us paddled for the same set.
I had forgotten how good it felt to share the water with someone.
A week later, Rosa invited me to a firepit gathering after sunset at the beach.
“Just some people from around here,” she said.
I knew what that meant.
The locals.
When we reached the beach, the fire was already burning in the distance.
We were still fifty yards from the firepit when I heard Jane’s Addiction coming through the darkness, mixed with the surf and the crackle of burning wood. Rosa was walking beside me.
For the first time in my life, I really didn't know why, but I felt at home.
Maybe it was the music. Maybe the ocean. Maybe walking toward a group of surfers with a girl who had somehow become part of my life without me noticing exactly when it happened.
Whatever it was, I didn't question it.
There were about a dozen people around the fire, some sitting on blankets, others standing with beers in their hands. A few boards were lying farther up the sand.
I recognized several faces immediately.
Including Ace.
He saw me walking beside Rosa and didn't exactly look happy about it, but he didn't say anything.
Rosa led me toward the fire.
“Everybody, this is Mano.”
A guy sitting on a cooler looked up at me.
“Where you from?”
“Rio.”
“Brazil?”
“Yeah.”
Another guy handed me a beer.
“You surf?”
Before I could answer, Rosa did.
“A little.”
I looked at her.
She was smiling.
“A little?” I asked.
She shrugged.
“That's what you told me.”
A few of them laughed.
I sat down beside her near the fire.
After that, things became easier.
They asked about Rio, the beaches I had surfed, how long I had been in California, and what I was studying. Nobody asked me what had happened at North Reef.
I appreciated that.
Before long, we were arguing about boards, waves, and which breaks were overrated, the same conversations surfers probably had around fires on beaches everywhere.
For once, I wasn't the foreign MBA student trying to figure out California.
I was just another guy talking about surfing.
Ace stayed mostly on the other side of the fire.
Every now and then, though, I caught him looking at Rosa and me.
Later, when Rosa got up to grab another drink from a cooler, Ace followed her.
They stopped only a few yards away. I wasn't trying to listen, but the music had gone quieter and their voices carried between the waves.
“What’s going on with you and him?” Ace asked.
Rosa glanced toward me.
“Nothing.”
“Bullshit.”
“He's my friend.”
“Since when do you bring friends here?”
Rosa didn't answer.
Ace lowered his voice, but I still heard the next question.
“He going back to Brazil when school’s done?”
This time Rosa looked at him differently.
“I don't know.”
Ace nodded once.
“Maybe you should.”
He walked back toward the fire.
Rosa stayed beside the cooler for a few seconds longer.
When she returned, she sat beside me again as if nothing had happened.
But something had.
Until that moment, I hadn't thought much about what came after California either.
Later that night, the fire began to burn low and people slowly started leaving.
Rosa and I stayed until only a few surfers were still sitting around the embers.
“You want to walk?” she asked.
“Sure.”
We left the fire behind and followed the shoreline.
For a while, neither of us said much. The beach was darker away from the fire, and the water came up around our feet before sliding back across the sand.
I kept thinking about what Ace had asked her.
Rosa finally looked at me.
“You heard him, didn't you?”
“Some of it.”
She smiled.
“Meaning all of it.”
“Pretty much.”
She looked toward the ocean.
“He worries about me.”
“He has an interesting way of showing it.”
That made her laugh.
“He's gotten better.”
“I'd hate to know what he was like before.”
We walked a little farther.
Then Rosa asked the question herself.
“Are you going back?”
“To Brazil?”
“When you're done with school.”
I looked out at the dark water.
“I don't know.”
It was the truth.
When I had arrived in California, I had assumed I would finish the MBA and figure out the rest later.
It didn't seem so simple anymore.
Rosa nodded but didn't say anything.
“What about you?” I asked.
“What about me?”
“You ever think about leaving San Clemente?”
“Sometimes.”
“But?”
She looked back toward the distant glow of the fire.
“But I've spent most of my life staying.”
I understood what she meant.
Ace. Hatha. Her grandfather. Everything that had needed her.
We stopped walking.
Rosa turned toward me.
For a few seconds, neither of us spoke.
The attraction had been there for a while. I knew that now. Maybe since the Jeep. Maybe since Hatha. Maybe since the first time we shared a wave and I realized how much I liked seeing her beside me in the water.
I reached up and brushed a strand of dark-blond hair away from her face.
She didn't move away.
So I kissed her.
It was soft at first, almost careful.
Then Rosa put one hand behind my neck and kissed me again.
This time there was nothing careful about it.
When we finally pulled apart, she stayed close enough that I could feel her breath against my face.
“Well,” she said.
“Well what?”
She smiled.
“Now Ace really has something to worry about.”
I laughed and kissed her again.
A few days after our first kiss, I stopped by Hatha near closing time.
Rosa locked the front door after the last customer left, then looked at me.
“Come here. I want to show you something.”
She led me past the workbench and through a door near the back of the shop.
I had seen the door before, but never had a reason to ask what was behind it.
The room was smaller than the main workshop. Shaping tools hung along one wall, fiberglass cloth was stacked on shelves, and fine white dust covered almost everything.
A surfboard rested on two padded stands in the center of the room.
It was unfinished.
No graphics. No logo. Just the clean shape of the board itself.
Rosa stood beside it.
“I've been working on this for months.”
I stepped closer.
“You shaped it?”
“From scratch.”
There was something different in her voice. Rosa was usually confident about everything she did at Hatha, but now she seemed almost nervous.
“You showed it to anyone?”
She shook her head.
“Not yet.”
That made me look at the board differently.
She wasn't showing me another repair or something she planned to put on the sales floor.
She was showing me something that was hers.
Her idea.
Her risk.
I ran my hand slowly along one of the rails.
“What were you trying to do?”
Rosa moved beside me.
“I wanted something made for the waves around here. Fast enough when they're smaller, but still stable when they get some size. Something that turns easily without feeling loose.”
I crouched and looked along the rocker.
She had kept enough curve through the nose to handle a steeper drop, but the middle was flatter than I expected.
I checked the tail, then ran my fingers along the contours underneath.
Rosa didn't say anything.
I could feel her watching me.
I stood and looked at the board again from nose to tail.
“This is really good.”
She smiled, but only a little.
“You don't have to say that.”
“I'm not.”
I pointed toward the middle of the board.
“This should carry speed really well. And the tail is going to let you turn it harder without losing control.”
“You think?”
“I do.”
I looked at her.
“Rosa, I don't mean it looks good.”
I put my hand back on the rail.
“I mean I want to surf it.”
That was when she really smiled.
“What do you call it?” I asked.
“I don't.”
“What?”
“It doesn't have a name yet.”
I looked at the board.
Then at her.
“Surfer Rosa.”
For half a second she just stared at me.
Then she laughed.
“You know the Pixies?”
“That album was practically a religion in my house when I was a teenager.”
She looked down at the board again.
“Surfer Rosa,” she repeated, looking down at the board.
Then she smiled.
“Yeah. That's her.”
It took Rosa another two weeks to finish the board.
When she finally showed it to me, the first thing I noticed wasn't the shape.
It was the logo.
She had kept the old Hatha circle with the sun and crescent moon, but now a small rose sat between them. Around the outside of the circle were two words.
SURFER ROSA.
I looked at her.
“You kept Hatha.”
“Of course.”
She ran her fingertips over the new logo.
“Sun, moon, and rose.”
I smiled.
“Your grandfather would approve.”
“I hope so.”
I expected her to tell me we would test it the following morning.
Instead, she said, “Friday night.”
“At night?”
“Full moon.”
She smiled.
“And we're going to North Reef.”
That caught me by surprise.
“You sure Ace won't slash the Jeep's tires this time?”
“He wouldn't dare.”
Just before midnight on Friday, we carried our boards down toward North Reef.
The beach looked completely different under the moonlight. There were no fires, no music, no voices from the parking lot. Only the sound of the waves and the pale reflection of the moon stretching across the water.
Rosa stopped near the shoreline.
“This is why.”
“Why what?”
“Hatha.”
I looked at her.
She nodded toward the moon.
“Grandpa used to surf nights like this.”
“He surfed North Reef at midnight?”
“All the time when the moon was full. Him and some of the old guys around here.”
She looked toward the water.
“They believed this was when you could feel the ocean differently. No crowds. No distractions. You couldn't see everything the way you could during the day, so you had to feel more of it.”
Then she smiled.
“Grandpa used to say the sun showed you the ocean. The moon made you feel it.”
I remembered the old circle above the entrance to Hatha.
“Sun and moon.”
“Exactly.”
For the first time, I understood that the logo wasn't just a logo.
Rosa handed me Surfer Rosa.
“You ready?”
“I've been ready for two weeks.”
We paddled out together.
Surfing at night felt strange at first. I couldn't read the ocean the way I could in daylight. I had to feel it instead. The swell lifting beneath me, the current pulling at my legs, the water moving through and around my body. For the first time, I understood what Rosa's grandfather meant. The ocean didn't feel like something I was surfing on. It felt alive beneath me, and for a few moments I felt like I was moving with it.
Rosa took the first wave.
I watched her disappear down the face and reappear farther along the shoulder, moving almost effortlessly through the silver water.
When she paddled back out, she pointed at the board beneath me.
“Your turn.”
The next set came a few minutes later.
I turned Surfer Rosa toward shore and paddled.
The board caught the wave immediately.
I stood, dropped down the face, and drove through the first turn.
Everything Rosa had been trying to build into the board was there.
Speed.
Control.
Responsiveness.
I pushed harder through the next turn, and the board followed without hesitation.
By the time I kicked out, I was laughing.
Rosa was waiting when I paddled back.
“Well?”
I shook my head.
“You made a hell of a surfboard.”
Her smile was brighter than the moonlight.
For the next hour, we traded waves at North Reef.
There was nobody there to tell me I didn't belong.
Just Rosa, the moon, and the ocean.
Eventually we paddled back to shore and left the boards above the tide line.
We sat together on the sand, still wet, looking out at the water.
Surfer Rosa rested a few feet away, the moon reflecting off her fresh fiberglass.
Rosa leaned into me and rested her head against my shoulder.
For a while, we just listened to the ocean.
“My grandfather used to say the sun showed you the ocean,” she said quietly. “But the moon made you feel it.”
I looked out at the water.
I understood it then. Not just the words. The feeling behind them.
“Hatha,” I said.
She lifted her head and looked at me.
“You get it.”
It wasn't a question.
I smiled.
“I think I finally do.”
She rested her head against me again.
“My grandfather would have liked you.”
“You think so?”
“He would've made you prove yourself first.”
I laughed.
“Sounds familiar.”
She looked up at me.
I reached up and touched her face. Her skin was cool from the water and warm underneath.
Then she kissed me.
There was no uncertainty between us this time.
It was soft at first. Her lips parted. Her hand came up to my jaw.
The kiss deepened.
We broke apart just enough to breathe. Her forehead rested against mine.
"I've wanted this," she said.
"Me too."
She kissed me again. This time there was no hesitation.
I spread my jacket out on the sand. She lowered herself onto it. I knelt beside her.
Her wetsuit was still damp. I found the zipper at her chest and pulled it down slowly. The moonlight revealed her skin inch by inch. Her collarbone. Her shoulders. The tops of her breasts.
She watched me the whole time.
I helped her peel the suit off her arms. She lifted her hips so I could work it down her legs. Then she lay before me in nothing but moonlight.
Her skin glistened. Her hair spread dark against the jacket. The ocean breathed beside us.
I wanted to remember every detail.
"Your turn," she whispered.
She sat up and unzipped my wetsuit. Her hands moved over my chest as she pushed it off my shoulders. Her fingertips traced down my stomach.
When we were both bare, I lay down beside her.
She turned toward me. Her leg hooked over mine. Her skin against my skin.
We kissed again. Slow. Deep. Her body pressed against mine.
My hand moved down her back. Her breath caught. Her fingers traced my spine.
The waves kept their rhythm.
I moved over her. She pulled me closer. Her legs wrapped around my waist.
When I entered her, we both stilled.
The moon hung above us. The ocean sounded all around.
Her eyes never left mine.
We moved together. Slow at first. Her hands on my back. Her breath against my neck.
The world narrowed to her skin and the sound of the water.
I felt her body tighten. Her fingers dug into my shoulders. She whispered my name.
And I followed her.
For a long moment, nothing existed except her warmth and the moonlight and the low hum of the Pacific.
I lowered myself beside her. She curled into me. Her head found my chest.
We lay there without speaking.
The ocean kept coming. The moon held its place.
After a while, she lifted her head.
"I don't want this night to end," she said.
I brushed the hair from her face.
"Then let's stay until sunrise."
She looked at me. The moonlight caught the shine in her eyes.
"Stay," she said.
Not a question. A promise.
She settled against me again. My arm wrapped around her.
I looked past her at the boards on the sand. Surfer Rosa caught the silver light. The sun, moon, and rose painted together on her nose.
That night, North Reef no longer felt like the beach where I had been told to leave.
It felt like somewhere Rosa had invited me to stay.
A few mornings later, Rosa asked if I wanted to surf North Reef again.
This time, she meant during the day.
When we came down the beach carrying our boards, Ace was standing on the sand with a few of the others.
I had Surfer Rosa under my arm.
Ace looked at me, then at the board.
At least this time he didn't seem interested in breaking it.
I slowed near the water and looked out at the break, then back at Ace. I wasn't exactly asking permission, but after what had happened the first time, I wanted to know where we stood.
“You gonna stand there all morning, Brazil?”
I looked at him.
Ace picked up his board and nodded toward the water.
“Paddle out.”
That was it.
No apology. No speech. No discussion about whether I belonged there.
Ace walked toward the water.
Rosa looked at me and smiled.
Then the three of us paddled out together.
Over the next few weeks, North Reef became part of my routine.
I never tried to prove anything to anyone. I just surfed.
That turned out to be enough.
Ace and I never became friends overnight. For a while, we barely spoke unless it was about the waves.
The guys who had once followed me into the parking lot started calling out waves for me. We traded boards, argued about conditions, and waited together through flat mornings for sets that sometimes never came.
Little by little, the tension disappeared.
Ace was still Ace.
He rarely gave compliments, and I never expected one.
But he stopped looking at me like I was somewhere I shouldn't be.
Before long, I wasn't the Brazilian who had shown up at North Reef.
I was just Mano.
Most days, Rosa and I stayed out longer than everyone else.
One by one, the others would paddle in until it was just the two of us waiting for the last waves of the day.
We got used to surfing through sunset, watching the sky change while the water turned darker beneath our boards.
A few months later, one of the guys at North Reef told us about an open surfing tournament farther up the coast.
“You should enter,” he told me.
I laughed it off at first.
Competition belonged to another part of my life. One I thought I had already left behind.
Rosa didn't let me hide from it.
“You love this,” she said. “Stop acting like you need to apologize for it.”
The entry fee and travel costs were more than I wanted to spend, but a few days later Ace handed me an envelope.
The guys from North Reef had put the money together.
I looked at him.
“You serious?”
Ace shrugged.
“Just don't embarrass us, Brazil.”
So I entered.
And I rode Surfer Rosa.
The board drew attention before my first heat was even over. People asked about the logo, the shape, who had made it.
Rosa was more nervous than I was.
For me, it was a return to competition.
For her, it was the first time something she had created was being judged in public.
I made it through the early heats.
Then the semifinals.
Then the final.
When the scores came in and my name was announced as the winner, I heard the North Reef crew before I saw them.
Ace was yelling louder than anyone.
Rosa ran toward me when I came out of the water.
I lifted Surfer Rosa between us.
“You made a winning board.”
She kissed me.
“We made a pretty good team.”
After that, people started coming into Hatha asking about the board.
At first, Rosa made them one at a time.
Then the orders started coming faster.
She kept the name.
Surfer Rosa.
Rosa shaped the boards.
I used everything I had learned in business school to help her figure out the rest.
For the first time, my MBA and surfing didn't feel like two different lives.
They finally belonged to the same one.
A few years later, Rosa and I were married.
Hatha was still there beside the gas station, with the same faded name above the entrance and the same sun-and-moon circle her grandfather had designed decades earlier.
We never changed that.
Inside, though, one entire wall belonged to Surfer Rosa.
What had started as a single board hidden in the back of the shop had become a line of boards ridden up and down the California coast.
Rosa still designed and shaped them.
I handled most of the business side, worked with suppliers and shops, and tested every new shape she was willing to let me ride.
Ace was still around too.
He helped at Hatha when we needed him, surfed North Reef more than anyone I knew, and continued pretending he had never been the guy who once broke my first California board.
I never reminded him.
Much.
Some things changed.
Others didn't.
Whenever the moon was full and the conditions were right, Rosa and I still closed Hatha early, loaded two boards into the Jeep, and drove to North Reef.
We would paddle out near midnight and stay in the water until we were tired, surfing beneath the same silver light her grandfather had loved.
Then we would leave the boards above the tide line, make love beneath the full moon, and stay wrapped around each other on the beach until sunrise.
Years had passed since that first night, but somehow the ocean still felt different under a full moon.
Rosa would sometimes rest her head against my shoulder and look out at the water.
And every time, I remembered what her grandfather used to say.
The sun shows you the ocean.
The moon makes you feel it.
Now our children know those words too. Someday, their children will.
With Rosa beside me, I was home.