Points
48
Solutions
0
I had never heard of Millhaven, Georgia, until my company sent me there to meet with a contractor about a new commercial development.
I was thirty-two and had been working as a traveling sales rep for a construction supply company for almost five years. Most of my territory covered Georgia and northern Florida, so small towns and long stretches of highway were nothing unusual. Usually, I drove in, made my presentation, shook a few hands, and headed straight to the next appointment.
Millhaven was supposed to be the same.
My meeting started at nine that morning and went better than expected. By eleven-thirty, I was walking back to my car with a promising order in my briefcase and no other appointments scheduled for the day.
Instead of immediately getting back on the highway, I drove a few blocks into downtown and found a little café where I had lunch.
Millhaven was the kind of town that seemed to have been built around one main street and then forgotten by time. The downtown buildings were mostly two-story brick structures that looked at least a hundred years old. Some had been renovated, while others still had faded lettering painted across their upper walls from businesses that had disappeared decades ago.
After lunch, I decided to walk for a while.
There wasn't much traffic. Brick sidewalks ran beneath old-fashioned streetlamps, and mature trees shaded parts of the street. I passed a bakery with two small tables outside, an old barber shop with a red-and-white pole turning beside the door, and another café occupying what looked like a former drugstore.
I wasn't in any hurry.
My drive home could wait another half hour.
That was when I noticed Madame Rose's Antiques.
The store was squeezed between the barber shop and a narrow brick building with empty upstairs windows.
Its wooden storefront was painted a deep burgundy that had faded around the edges. Gold lettering across the glass read: MADAME ROSE'S ANTIQUES.
Unlike some antique stores I'd visited, there wasn't a carefully arranged display designed to look fashionable. The window was crowded with objects: porcelain figures, old books, a brass lamp, silverware, framed photographs, a wooden jewelry box, and several pieces of jewelry resting on faded velvet stands.
I probably would have kept walking if I hadn't noticed the ring.
It sat by itself near the bottom of the window.
I bent slightly to get a better look.
It was a heavy silver signet ring, darker around the edges from age. The face was oval and engraved with what looked like an ornate letter R, surrounded by tiny markings I couldn't make out through the glass.
There was no price tag.
I wasn't a jewelry collector, and I'd never owned anything resembling it. Still, there was something about that ring that held my attention.
After staring at it for another few seconds, I opened the door.
A small brass bell rang above my head.
The inside of Madame Rose's Antiques looked exactly like the storefront suggested it would. Glass cabinets lined one wall. Old clocks, lamps, paintings, and pieces of furniture occupied almost every available space. The air carried the faint smell of old wood, furniture polish, and books.
"Good afternoon."
The woman's voice came from behind a tall cabinet near the back.
A moment later, she appeared.
She was a very large woman, probably in her late forties, with a full, heavy figure that immediately commanded attention. She wore a dark burgundy dress that complemented the colors of the shop, along with a long necklace and several silver bracelets. Her dark hair was carefully styled, and her makeup was understated but immaculate.
There was nothing shy about her.
She moved slowly, confidently, as though every object in the crowded store occupied exactly the place she had chosen for it.
"Good afternoon," I said.
She gave me a warm smile.
"First time in Millhaven?"
I laughed. "Is it that obvious?"
"Only a little."
She came closer and extended her hand.
"I'm Rose," she said. Then her smile widened slightly. "But everyone here calls me Madame Rose."
I shook her hand.
"Louie."
"Welcome to my shop, Louie."
Her eyes stayed on mine for an extra moment before she released my hand.
"Are you looking for anything in particular?"
I glanced back toward the front window.
"Actually, yes."
I pointed toward the display.
"That silver ring."
Madame Rose followed my gesture.
For the first time since I'd entered the store, her expression changed.
Only slightly.
But the friendly smile disappeared.
She looked at the ring, then back at me.
"Ah," she said.
She folded her hands in front of her.
"That ring."
"How much is it?"
Madame Rose studied me for another moment.
Then the smile returned.
"It's not for sale."
"Not for sale?" I repeated.
"That's right."
"Then why put it in the window?"
Madame Rose laughed softly. "Not everything in an antique shop has to be for sale."
I looked back at the ring. Now that she'd told me I couldn't have it, I wanted a closer look even more.
"What's it worth?"
"To whom?"
"To anyone."
Madame Rose shook her head. "That's not how antiques work, Louie. Something can be worth fifty dollars to one person and five thousand to another."
"Okay. What's it worth to you?"
"Enough that I'm not selling it."
There was amusement in her eyes now. I got the impression she was enjoying my persistence.
"I'll give you five hundred dollars for it."
"You haven't even examined it."
"Then let me examine it."
Madame Rose smiled. "You're a salesman, aren't you?"
I laughed. "Construction supplies."
"I knew it."
"How?"
"Because I've told you no three times, and you're still negotiating."
She walked toward the window, and I followed her.
Madame Rose carefully moved several objects aside before reaching down and picking up the ring. She held it between her fingers but didn't offer it to me.
Up close, it looked even older than I'd thought. The silver had been polished, but age remained visible in the tiny scratches across its surface and in the darkened grooves around the engraving.
"How old is it?" I asked.
"According to the family I acquired it from, late fourteenth century."
I stared at her. "Seriously?"
"That's the story."
"And the R?"
"That is where the story becomes interesting."
She carried the ring to the counter and placed it on a square of dark velvet.
"It supposedly belonged to an English knight named Sir Aldric Hadley. Aldric had a reputation for being proud, stubborn and almost impossible to command. Even the nobleman he served apparently had difficulty controlling him."
"Sounds like a pleasant guy."
Madame Rose smiled.
"Then he met Lady Rosamund."
She lightly touched the engraved face of the ring with one finger.
"Rosamund was a wealthy widow. Beautiful, independent and, according to local gossip, knowledgeable about certain practices respectable people preferred not to discuss."
"Witchcraft?"
"That was one accusation."
"And she gave him the ring?"
"She had it made for him. The R was supposedly for Rosamund."
I leaned closer to the counter.
"What happened?"
"Before he received it, Aldric was famous for taking orders from no one. After he began wearing it, people noticed something peculiar."
Madame Rose looked directly at me.
"He obeyed Rosamund."
"That's it?"
"Not occasionally. Not when it suited him. According to the legend, if Lady Rosamund told Sir Aldric to do something, he did it."
I grinned. "Magic ring."
"Perhaps."
"You believe that?"
"I believe old objects sometimes have interesting stories attached to them."
I looked at the ornate R again and then at her.
"Convenient that your name is Rose."
Madame Rose's smile returned.
"Perhaps that's why it likes me."
"Can I hold it?"
Madame Rose hesitated before picking up the ring.
She placed it in my palm.
It was heavier than I expected.
I turned it over. The inside of the band was smooth except for several tiny marks that might once have been lettering. Whatever they said had nearly disappeared with age.
"Five hundred," I said again.
"No."
"Seven-fifty."
"No."
"A thousand."
Madame Rose laughed. "Put your money away, Louie."
"I haven't taken it out."
"Good. Then we're making progress."
I rolled the ring between my fingers.
"Let me try it on."
Her expression changed.
"No."
"Come on. You let me hold it."
"That's different."
"Why?"
Madame Rose glanced at the ring in my hand.
"I don't think that would be wise."
I laughed. "You don't actually believe the story."
"I didn't say that."
"Then what could happen?"
She said nothing.
That silence made me want to do it even more.
"Thirty seconds," I said. "Then I'll give it back."
Madame Rose studied my face for several seconds.
Finally, she sighed.
"You're a persistent man, Louie."
"I told you. Sales."
"Very well."
She nodded toward my hand.
"Try it."
I slipped the ring onto my right ring finger.
It slid over my knuckle without resistance and settled against the base of my finger.
Perfectly.
"Huh."
Madame Rose stared at my hand.
Her smile was gone.
"What?"
"Nothing."
"No, what?"
"It's simply an unusually good fit."
I held my hand up and examined it. The ring looked surprisingly natural on me.
Madame Rose continued staring at it.
Then she looked into my eyes.
"Give me your briefcase, Louie."
Without thinking, I picked it up from beside my feet and handed it to her.
She took it.
I blinked.
"Why did you want my briefcase?"
Madame Rose looked down at it as though she wasn't entirely sure herself.
"I wanted to see whether you would give it to me."
"What?"
She placed it behind the counter.
"Close the door for me, Louie."
I turned around, walked to the entrance and closed the door.
The brass bell gave a small jingle.
My hand was still resting on the doorknob when I realized something.
I hadn't decided to close it.
I looked back at Madame Rose.
She was watching me very carefully now.
"Turn the sign to CLOSED."
My hand reached for the little sign hanging against the glass.
I turned it around.
CLOSED.
For several seconds, neither of us spoke.
I stared at my hand.
Then I looked across the store at Madame Rose.
She was smiling again.
But it wasn't quite the same smile she'd given me when I walked through the door.
"What the hell was that?" I asked.
Madame Rose didn't answer immediately.
She walked toward me, her eyes moving from my face to the silver ring on my finger.
"You really didn't want to turn that sign, did you?"
"I didn't care about the sign. I just don't understand why I did it without even thinking."
"Perhaps you did think."
"No. You told me to do it, and I just did it."
Madame Rose stopped a few feet away from me.
"Interesting."
That wasn't the word I would have used.
I reached for the ring.
"Don't take it off."
My fingers stopped.
Instantly.
I stared at my hand.
"Madame Rose..."
"Take it off."
My fingers immediately moved toward the ring again.
"Stop."
They stopped.
A chill ran through me.
Madame Rose's eyes widened. For a moment, she looked every bit as surprised as I felt.
Then something changed in her expression.
She smiled.
"Raise your right hand."
My arm rose.
"Put it down."
I lowered it.
"Take three steps toward me."
I didn't move.
At least, I tried not to.
My right foot stepped forward.
Then my left.
Then my right again.
I ended up standing directly in front of her.
Madame Rose was a big woman, but I hadn't realized quite how imposing she was until I stood that close to her. Her body filled the burgundy dress, broad and heavy through her hips, belly and chest. She smelled faintly of perfume, something warm and floral.
"Do you find me attractive, Louie?"
I hesitated.
Her eyebrows lifted.
"Answer me."
"Yes."
The word escaped before I could decide whether I wanted to say it.
Madame Rose's smile grew.
"Do you normally find women my size attractive?"
"Sometimes."
"Sometimes?"
"Yes."
She seemed pleased by the answer.
"Tell me what you thought when you first saw me."
I felt heat rise into my face.
"I thought you were attractive."
"And?"
I tried to keep my mouth shut.
Madame Rose waited.
"And I noticed your body."
"I suspected you had."
She laughed softly.
I looked down at the ring.
"You didn't know this was going to happen, did you?"
"No," she said.
For once, there was no teasing in her voice.
"I knew the legend. I've owned that ring for eleven years. I've researched it. I've spoken with two previous owners. But legends and proof are very different things."
"So I'm your experiment?"
Madame Rose considered that.
"For the moment."
"I want to take it off."
"I know."
"Then tell me I can."
"No."
Her answer came so calmly that I almost laughed.
Almost.
"Madame Rose, this isn't funny."
"No," she said, stepping even closer. "It's fascinating."
Madame Rose walked slowly around me.
I could hear the faint sound of her heels against the wooden floor but couldn't see her when she passed behind me.
"Don't turn around."
I remained facing forward.
She appeared on my other side.
"Very good."
Something about those two words embarrassed me more than it should have.
Madame Rose stopped directly in front of me.
For several seconds, she simply studied me.
Then she glanced down at the silver ring.
"I wonder just how much power this little thing gives me."
"Madame Rose..."
"Be quiet, Louie."
My mouth closed.
Her smile widened.
"Now listen carefully."
I stared at her.
"You are deeply attracted to me."
The command struck differently from the others.
Closing a door had made my body obey. This seemed to reach directly into my thoughts.
I looked at Madame Rose, and something inside me shifted.
The woman standing before me was suddenly impossible to ignore. Her enormous figure, her confidence, the curve of her body beneath the burgundy dress, even the knowing expression on her face drew me toward her.
Madame Rose watched my reaction with fascination.
"Oh," she whispered. "It can do that too."
She stepped closer.
"You think I'm beautiful."
I did.
"You desire me."
Another wave of attraction swept through me.
Madame Rose was no longer merely the eccentric antique dealer I'd met a short time earlier. She had become the most desirable woman in the room, and I couldn't separate what I genuinely felt from what the ring was making me feel.
Then her expression became more serious.
"And you're falling in love with me, Louie."
I stared into her eyes.
The change was immediate and overwhelming.
"Madame Rose..."
She smiled at hearing her name.
"From now on, that is what you will always call me. Madame Rose."
"Yes, Madame Rose."
She reached up and gently touched my cheek.
"Good boy."
I leaned instinctively toward her hand.
Madame Rose noticed.
The uncertainty she'd shown when the ring first worked was gone now. She understood that she could command more than my movements. She could change what I wanted, whom I desired, even what I believed I felt for her.
And she was enjoying the discovery.
"Come closer, Louie."
I obeyed.
Madame Rose looked me over with a satisfied smile, as though she'd finally decided exactly what she wanted to do with me.
"There's something else I'd like you to see."
She turned and walked toward the rear of the shop.
"Follow me, Louie."
I followed without hesitation.
We passed behind the counter and through the maze of cabinets and old furniture until we reached a heavy wooden door near the back wall. I had assumed it led to a storage room.
Madame Rose took a small brass key from her necklace and unlocked it.
Beyond the door was a short hallway that looked nothing like the antique shop. A framed painting hung on one wall, and a patterned runner covered the wooden floor. At the far end, I could see part of a comfortably furnished room.
"You live back here?" I asked.
"I do."
She stepped through the doorway, then turned to face me.
"Come inside."
I crossed the threshold.
Madame Rose closed the door behind us.
She looked at the silver ring on my finger, then slowly raised her eyes to mine.
"Follow me, Louie. Today, you're going to make all of Madame Rose's fantasies come true."
I followed her through the sitting room and into the bedroom, and the moment I crossed the threshold I understood this was no storage room, no simple flat. This was the lair of a woman who had spent a lifetime surrounded by beautiful, precious things and who knew exactly how to keep them.
A four-poster bed dominated the space, its headboard carved from dark walnut, draped in wine-colored velvet that had faded soft at the edges. Lace doilies covered the bedside tables. A marble-topped vanity stood against one wall, its oval mirror gone cloudy around the rim, a silver hairbrush and crystal atomizer arranged precisely before it. The windows were dressed in heavy brocade, and the whole room smelled of lavender sachets, beeswax, and a faint trace of the perfume that clung to Madame Rose's throat.
Oil lamps had been converted to electricity, but their amber shades still threw a warm, honeyed light across everything.
Madame Rose closed the door behind us. The latch clicked like a key turning in a lock, and I felt the sound all the way down my spine.
She turned to face me, and her eyes traveled slowly from the ring on my finger to the flush I could feel rising in my cheeks.
"Look around, Louie," she said softly. "This is where I sleep. Where I dream. Where I keep the things that belong to me."
I looked. The room swam slightly, or perhaps it was just my own pulse. She was every inch of her forty-eight years, soft and immense and radiant in her tailored dress and I could not stop staring at her.
"You may kneel."
My knees hit the carpet before I had even finished deciding to obey. It was like the thought sprang from a place underneath my own will. The ring felt cool and heavy against my skin, alive in its own quiet way.
Madame Rose smiled down at me. The uncertainty she had shown earlier was long gone. Now her mouth curved with the slow, delighted satisfaction of a woman who had just discovered she owned a key to something wonderful.
"Look up at me, Louie."
I raised my eyes to hers.
"Tell me what you are."
My throat worked. Somewhere inside my skull, the part of me that was still Louie, the traveling salesman with a sales quota and a rented car waiting outside, watched from behind a pane of glass. I knew what she was doing. I knew I should have been appalled.
But she had poured love into me like warm syrup, and it had flooded every hollow place, and I could not remember why I would ever have wanted to refuse her.
"I'm yours, Madame Rose."
"Good boy."
She stepped closer, the carpet muffling her shoes, and she reached down to toy with the knot of my tie. Her fingers were plump and cool, and they worked the silk loose as easily as if she had done it a thousand times.
"Let's see what Madame Rose has to work with."
She had me undress in stages, each command spoken in that same rich, amused tone. "Take off your jacket, Louie." "Unbutton your shirt." "Sit back on your heels." My clothes pooled around me on the Oriental rug, and when I was bare before her, she made a small sound of approval and walked a slow circle around me. I felt her gaze on the backs of my thighs, on my bare shoulders, on the stubborn, aching evidence of my arousal between my legs.
"You're a handsome thing, aren't you? Thirty-two years old. Fit from walking those sales floors, I expect." She stopped behind me. Her hand descended and settled on the curve of my bare ass, squeezing firmly. "Yes, we'll have some fun with this."
A shiver went through me; the ring seemed to warm in agreement.
"Now," she said, stepping around to face me and settling her wide, heavy frame onto the edge of the bed. The mattress groaned luxuriously beneath her. "Undress Madame Rose. Slowly. And use your teeth where you can."
My hands moved before I had considered them. I crawled to her, knelt between her spread knees, and began to work the buttons of her dress with fingers that trembled for several reasons at once. Her scent was stronger up close, roses and lavender and the warm, feminine musk of her skin. Layer by layer I peeled her clothing away: the dress, silk gloves, a thick slip. When I reached her corset, I found it was a real one, steel-boned and beautifully old, and I unlaced it with the reverent care her kind of object demanded.
The breath left her as the constraint fell away, and her body spilled into the lamplight.
I had never seen a woman like her. I know that sounds like the ring talking. But the ring had only unlocked what I already felt, buried under a lifetime of magazine covers and billboards. Madame Rose was forty-eight years old and vast, breasts heavy and full as warm bread, a belly soft and deep, hips broad enough to crush a man's, thighs plush and pale. Every inch of her was generosity. Every curve was a command.
"Don't stare," she said, but the way she said it told me she loved that I was staring. "Kiss me, Louie."
I rose on my knees and kissed her, and her lips were as soft as the rest of her, and she took control of the kiss the way she took everything else, both hands fisted in my hair, tilting my head, guiding my mouth with a practiced possessiveness.
When she finally pulled back, we were both breathing hard.
"Get on the bed," she said. "On your back."
I obeyed. The mattress dipped with her weight as she climbed up after me and knelt over my chest, her thighs settling on either side of my ribs. She was so heavy and warm that my breath caught, and the sensation of her resting on me like a throne made my cock twitch against my belly.
"Look at that," she murmured. "Just a few words and this is what I get. You're like a toy I wound up in the shop." Her hand drifted down my chest, nails raking lightly through my chest hair. "My little fucktoy."
The word hit me like a pulse from the ring. I moaned.
"Ah, he likes that." She smiled, wide and wicked. "Then say it back, Louie. Tell Madame Rose what you are."
"I'm your fucktoy, Madame Rose."
She squeezed me, her hand wrapped around my cock, hot and sure, and stroked twice, three times, until my hips bucked helplessly.
"Say it again."
"I'm your fucktoy."
"Again."
"I'm your..." My voice cracked. "Your fucktoy, Madame Rose."
She laughed, a low, delighted sound that shook her whole body, and I felt every tremor of it through the thighs around my ribs.
Then she grew serious. She scooted up, straddling my face, and her soft, fragrant weight settled over my mouth like a promise.
"You haven't tasted your Mistress yet," she said. "Lick me, Louie. Make Madame Rose happy."
I licked.
The taste of her flooded over my tongue, warm and salty-sweet, the essence of her, the proof of how long she had been looking forward to this. I buried my face between her thick thighs and lapped at her cunt with a hunger that felt entirely my own. The ring hummed on my finger. Her hips rolled gently against my mouth, and her fingers found purchase in my hair again, steering me where she wanted me.
"Wider," she commanded. "Slower. Up and up, yes... that's it. Oh, that's lovely. You were made for this, weren't you, Louie?"
She helped me learn her. She was generous with her pleasure and with her directions, and every time I found the spot that made her gasp, she praised me like a beloved animal. "Good boy. Good toy. Don't stop."
I didn't stop. I could not have stopped if a fire had broken out in the room. Her thighs closed around my ears, the heat and scent of her overwhelming me, and she rode my mouth with increasing abandon until her whole body shuddered and she ground down with a breathless cry that I felt in my bones.
She came, and I drank every pulse of it.
For a long moment she simply sat above me, breath sawing in and out of her lungs. Then she lowered herself off my face and rolled heavily across the mattress beside me, pulling me onto my side to face her. Her face was pink and damp, her hair coming loose from its pins, and she looked more beautiful than she had behind the shop counter.
Deliberately, she reached down and wrapped her hand around my aching cock again. I gasped at the touch.
"Did I say you could have your pleasure until I was finished with you?" She asked. "Naughty fucktoy. Roll over."
A command snapped inside me. I was on my belly before I knew it, and the next thing I felt was her heavy hand landing flat against my bare ass, a sharp crack that echoed in the quiet room and sent a jolt of stinging heat through my hips.
"Ah!"
"Mm." Her hand rose and fell again, firm and practiced. "That one was for looking at me in the shop like you thought you had a choice. And this one" crack "is for coming close to pleasure before your Mistress granted it."
I groaned into the quilt. The spanking had lit the same circuits as her commands, the sting bloomed across my skin and traveled straight down to my cock, which had not softened, which throbbed against the mattress with a renewed hunger.
"Do you understand, Louie?"
"Yes, Madame Rose. I understand."
"Good boy." She smoothed her palm over the reddened flesh, a lingering, possessive stroke. "That's all the discipline you need for now. I want you to remember it, the next time you think you get to decide anything."
She pulled me up by the shoulder, and I turned over. The sight of her then sitting atop the rumpled velvet spread in all her soft, enormous glory, hair tumbled, breasts heavy on her chest, thighs parted—drove every thought from my head except one: mine. She is mine. I am hers. There is no difference anymore.
"On your knees, fucktoy. Let's see how well you worship."
I took her in my mouth. Her thighs closed around my shoulders, and for a long time I served her the only way I could—with my lips and my tongue, her hand in my hair, her voice guiding me. "Deeper, Louie." "Tongue out." "That's it, doll." And when she was greedy, she pulled my face into her cunt and held me there while she rocked, taking what she wanted from me until she shuddered a second time.
By then I was shaking with need, leaking against my own belly.
"Please," I heard myself beg. I had never begged in my life. "Please, Madame Rose. I need..."
"You need what, Louie?"
"Please. I need to be inside you. Please let me—"
She laughed softly and pushed my shoulder. "Lie back, then. Let your Mistress take what she wants."
I fell back onto the featherbed. Madame Rose rose above me—a mountain of soft flesh, all shadow and lamplight and curve—and straddled my hips. Her weight settled over me slowly, a heavy, delicious pressure that pressed me down into the mattress, and I felt the hot wetness of her cunt slide against the base of my cock before she reached down and guided me into her.
She sank.
God, she sank. Her body closed around me, tight and slick and impossibly warm, and she took the entire length of me until her thighs flattened against my hips and I was buried somewhere deep inside her softness. My eyes rolled back. The ring flared cool on my finger, and the love she had planted in me blossomed into worship.
"There," she breathed. "There's my good boy." She braced her hands against my chest, fingers splayed, and began to ride me.
She was in charge of everything. The rhythm, the pace, the angle. I was pinned beneath her, lost in the sheer overwhelming reality of her body—the dig of her nails in my pecs, the heavy sway of her breasts, the way her thighs flexed as she worked her hips against mine. She rode me with an expertise that made my mind white out, lecturing me in that same playful, possessive tone.
"You feel that, Louie? That's Madame Rose's pussy squeezing your cock." She rolled her hips, and I cried out. "You're the best little purchase I've made all year. And I paid for you with two minutes and a word of command."
"Yes, Madame Rose," I whimpered. "Oh, God—yes."
"Look at me."
I forced my eyes open. She was beautiful from above, a full-fleshed goddess in the amber lamplight, her face flushed with pleasure and power.
"I'm going to make you come, Louie. Then I'm going to hold you, and you're going to sleep, and when you wake up—" She rode me faster, harder, the bed banging against the wall in a rhythm older than furniture, older than fine antiques. "When you wake up, you're going to be my good little fucktoy all over again. Aren't you?"
"Yes, Madame Rose! Yes!"
"Cum for me now. Cum for your Mistress. Now."
The command detonated me. I arched up beneath her, crying out her name, and came inside her in long, helpless pulses while she rode me through it, taking every drop, purring her satisfaction. The ring burned cold on my finger, and for one crystalline moment I was aware—fully, dreadfully aware—that she controlled every part of this, that the joy flooding me was her gift, and that I could not have stopped any of it if I had wanted to.
Then the moment passed, and Madame Rose was leaning over me, pressing her soft lips to my forehead.
"Good boy," she whispered. "Madame Rose is very pleased with her new fucktoy."
I breathed, and the ceiling swam above me, and I thought, in the dim rational corner of my mind, that this was the strangest thing that had ever happened to me in an antique shop.
She lay beside me for a time, one hand stroking the sweat from my chest. Then she sighed and rose, and the bed groaned its relief.
"We'd best get you dressed," she said, already reaching for her slip. "I've kept the shop closed long enough. Can't spend the entire afternoon entertaining handsome strangers, can I?"
By the time we returned to the shop, Madame Rose looked almost exactly as she had when I'd first walked through the door.
Her burgundy dress was back in place, her dark hair had been pinned neatly again, and she'd repaired her makeup in the oval mirror above her vanity. Only a slight flush in her cheeks suggested that anything unusual had happened behind that locked wooden door.
I wasn't nearly as composed.
I straightened my tie while Madame Rose moved behind the counter, returning a few things to their proper places. She picked up my briefcase and set it on the glass counter in front of me.
"There you are, Louie."
"Thank you, Madame Rose."
The words came naturally now.
For a moment, neither of us said anything.
Then I looked down at my right hand.
The silver ring was still there.
After everything that had happened, I'd assumed she would want it back. She had owned it for eleven years. She knew what it could do now. More importantly, she knew that the legend of Sir Aldric Hadley and Lady Rosamund had been true.
But Madame Rose made no move toward it.
"Don't you want your ring?" I asked.
Her eyes dropped to my hand.
"No, Louie." A small smile appeared on her lips. "I think it belongs exactly where it is."
I stared at her.
"You're letting me keep it?"
Madame Rose came around the counter and stopped in front of me.
"Look at me, Louie."
I looked into her eyes.
Her smile disappeared. The warm, eccentric antique dealer I'd met less than two hours earlier was still there somewhere, but now I knew something about Madame Rose that nobody walking past that gold-lettered window could possibly know.
She glanced once at the ring on my finger.
Then she looked back into my eyes.
"Listen carefully, Louie. You will never take the ring off your finger. You will return here in thirty days, rain or shine, for our next session."
I was thirty-two and had been working as a traveling sales rep for a construction supply company for almost five years. Most of my territory covered Georgia and northern Florida, so small towns and long stretches of highway were nothing unusual. Usually, I drove in, made my presentation, shook a few hands, and headed straight to the next appointment.
Millhaven was supposed to be the same.
My meeting started at nine that morning and went better than expected. By eleven-thirty, I was walking back to my car with a promising order in my briefcase and no other appointments scheduled for the day.
Instead of immediately getting back on the highway, I drove a few blocks into downtown and found a little café where I had lunch.
Millhaven was the kind of town that seemed to have been built around one main street and then forgotten by time. The downtown buildings were mostly two-story brick structures that looked at least a hundred years old. Some had been renovated, while others still had faded lettering painted across their upper walls from businesses that had disappeared decades ago.
After lunch, I decided to walk for a while.
There wasn't much traffic. Brick sidewalks ran beneath old-fashioned streetlamps, and mature trees shaded parts of the street. I passed a bakery with two small tables outside, an old barber shop with a red-and-white pole turning beside the door, and another café occupying what looked like a former drugstore.
I wasn't in any hurry.
My drive home could wait another half hour.
That was when I noticed Madame Rose's Antiques.
The store was squeezed between the barber shop and a narrow brick building with empty upstairs windows.
Its wooden storefront was painted a deep burgundy that had faded around the edges. Gold lettering across the glass read: MADAME ROSE'S ANTIQUES.
Unlike some antique stores I'd visited, there wasn't a carefully arranged display designed to look fashionable. The window was crowded with objects: porcelain figures, old books, a brass lamp, silverware, framed photographs, a wooden jewelry box, and several pieces of jewelry resting on faded velvet stands.
I probably would have kept walking if I hadn't noticed the ring.
It sat by itself near the bottom of the window.
I bent slightly to get a better look.
It was a heavy silver signet ring, darker around the edges from age. The face was oval and engraved with what looked like an ornate letter R, surrounded by tiny markings I couldn't make out through the glass.
There was no price tag.
I wasn't a jewelry collector, and I'd never owned anything resembling it. Still, there was something about that ring that held my attention.
After staring at it for another few seconds, I opened the door.
A small brass bell rang above my head.
The inside of Madame Rose's Antiques looked exactly like the storefront suggested it would. Glass cabinets lined one wall. Old clocks, lamps, paintings, and pieces of furniture occupied almost every available space. The air carried the faint smell of old wood, furniture polish, and books.
"Good afternoon."
The woman's voice came from behind a tall cabinet near the back.
A moment later, she appeared.
She was a very large woman, probably in her late forties, with a full, heavy figure that immediately commanded attention. She wore a dark burgundy dress that complemented the colors of the shop, along with a long necklace and several silver bracelets. Her dark hair was carefully styled, and her makeup was understated but immaculate.
There was nothing shy about her.
She moved slowly, confidently, as though every object in the crowded store occupied exactly the place she had chosen for it.
"Good afternoon," I said.
She gave me a warm smile.
"First time in Millhaven?"
I laughed. "Is it that obvious?"
"Only a little."
She came closer and extended her hand.
"I'm Rose," she said. Then her smile widened slightly. "But everyone here calls me Madame Rose."
I shook her hand.
"Louie."
"Welcome to my shop, Louie."
Her eyes stayed on mine for an extra moment before she released my hand.
"Are you looking for anything in particular?"
I glanced back toward the front window.
"Actually, yes."
I pointed toward the display.
"That silver ring."
Madame Rose followed my gesture.
For the first time since I'd entered the store, her expression changed.
Only slightly.
But the friendly smile disappeared.
She looked at the ring, then back at me.
"Ah," she said.
She folded her hands in front of her.
"That ring."
"How much is it?"
Madame Rose studied me for another moment.
Then the smile returned.
"It's not for sale."
"Not for sale?" I repeated.
"That's right."
"Then why put it in the window?"
Madame Rose laughed softly. "Not everything in an antique shop has to be for sale."
I looked back at the ring. Now that she'd told me I couldn't have it, I wanted a closer look even more.
"What's it worth?"
"To whom?"
"To anyone."
Madame Rose shook her head. "That's not how antiques work, Louie. Something can be worth fifty dollars to one person and five thousand to another."
"Okay. What's it worth to you?"
"Enough that I'm not selling it."
There was amusement in her eyes now. I got the impression she was enjoying my persistence.
"I'll give you five hundred dollars for it."
"You haven't even examined it."
"Then let me examine it."
Madame Rose smiled. "You're a salesman, aren't you?"
I laughed. "Construction supplies."
"I knew it."
"How?"
"Because I've told you no three times, and you're still negotiating."
She walked toward the window, and I followed her.
Madame Rose carefully moved several objects aside before reaching down and picking up the ring. She held it between her fingers but didn't offer it to me.
Up close, it looked even older than I'd thought. The silver had been polished, but age remained visible in the tiny scratches across its surface and in the darkened grooves around the engraving.
"How old is it?" I asked.
"According to the family I acquired it from, late fourteenth century."
I stared at her. "Seriously?"
"That's the story."
"And the R?"
"That is where the story becomes interesting."
She carried the ring to the counter and placed it on a square of dark velvet.
"It supposedly belonged to an English knight named Sir Aldric Hadley. Aldric had a reputation for being proud, stubborn and almost impossible to command. Even the nobleman he served apparently had difficulty controlling him."
"Sounds like a pleasant guy."
Madame Rose smiled.
"Then he met Lady Rosamund."
She lightly touched the engraved face of the ring with one finger.
"Rosamund was a wealthy widow. Beautiful, independent and, according to local gossip, knowledgeable about certain practices respectable people preferred not to discuss."
"Witchcraft?"
"That was one accusation."
"And she gave him the ring?"
"She had it made for him. The R was supposedly for Rosamund."
I leaned closer to the counter.
"What happened?"
"Before he received it, Aldric was famous for taking orders from no one. After he began wearing it, people noticed something peculiar."
Madame Rose looked directly at me.
"He obeyed Rosamund."
"That's it?"
"Not occasionally. Not when it suited him. According to the legend, if Lady Rosamund told Sir Aldric to do something, he did it."
I grinned. "Magic ring."
"Perhaps."
"You believe that?"
"I believe old objects sometimes have interesting stories attached to them."
I looked at the ornate R again and then at her.
"Convenient that your name is Rose."
Madame Rose's smile returned.
"Perhaps that's why it likes me."
"Can I hold it?"
Madame Rose hesitated before picking up the ring.
She placed it in my palm.
It was heavier than I expected.
I turned it over. The inside of the band was smooth except for several tiny marks that might once have been lettering. Whatever they said had nearly disappeared with age.
"Five hundred," I said again.
"No."
"Seven-fifty."
"No."
"A thousand."
Madame Rose laughed. "Put your money away, Louie."
"I haven't taken it out."
"Good. Then we're making progress."
I rolled the ring between my fingers.
"Let me try it on."
Her expression changed.
"No."
"Come on. You let me hold it."
"That's different."
"Why?"
Madame Rose glanced at the ring in my hand.
"I don't think that would be wise."
I laughed. "You don't actually believe the story."
"I didn't say that."
"Then what could happen?"
She said nothing.
That silence made me want to do it even more.
"Thirty seconds," I said. "Then I'll give it back."
Madame Rose studied my face for several seconds.
Finally, she sighed.
"You're a persistent man, Louie."
"I told you. Sales."
"Very well."
She nodded toward my hand.
"Try it."
I slipped the ring onto my right ring finger.
It slid over my knuckle without resistance and settled against the base of my finger.
Perfectly.
"Huh."
Madame Rose stared at my hand.
Her smile was gone.
"What?"
"Nothing."
"No, what?"
"It's simply an unusually good fit."
I held my hand up and examined it. The ring looked surprisingly natural on me.
Madame Rose continued staring at it.
Then she looked into my eyes.
"Give me your briefcase, Louie."
Without thinking, I picked it up from beside my feet and handed it to her.
She took it.
I blinked.
"Why did you want my briefcase?"
Madame Rose looked down at it as though she wasn't entirely sure herself.
"I wanted to see whether you would give it to me."
"What?"
She placed it behind the counter.
"Close the door for me, Louie."
I turned around, walked to the entrance and closed the door.
The brass bell gave a small jingle.
My hand was still resting on the doorknob when I realized something.
I hadn't decided to close it.
I looked back at Madame Rose.
She was watching me very carefully now.
"Turn the sign to CLOSED."
My hand reached for the little sign hanging against the glass.
I turned it around.
CLOSED.
For several seconds, neither of us spoke.
I stared at my hand.
Then I looked across the store at Madame Rose.
She was smiling again.
But it wasn't quite the same smile she'd given me when I walked through the door.
"What the hell was that?" I asked.
Madame Rose didn't answer immediately.
She walked toward me, her eyes moving from my face to the silver ring on my finger.
"You really didn't want to turn that sign, did you?"
"I didn't care about the sign. I just don't understand why I did it without even thinking."
"Perhaps you did think."
"No. You told me to do it, and I just did it."
Madame Rose stopped a few feet away from me.
"Interesting."
That wasn't the word I would have used.
I reached for the ring.
"Don't take it off."
My fingers stopped.
Instantly.
I stared at my hand.
"Madame Rose..."
"Take it off."
My fingers immediately moved toward the ring again.
"Stop."
They stopped.
A chill ran through me.
Madame Rose's eyes widened. For a moment, she looked every bit as surprised as I felt.
Then something changed in her expression.
She smiled.
"Raise your right hand."
My arm rose.
"Put it down."
I lowered it.
"Take three steps toward me."
I didn't move.
At least, I tried not to.
My right foot stepped forward.
Then my left.
Then my right again.
I ended up standing directly in front of her.
Madame Rose was a big woman, but I hadn't realized quite how imposing she was until I stood that close to her. Her body filled the burgundy dress, broad and heavy through her hips, belly and chest. She smelled faintly of perfume, something warm and floral.
"Do you find me attractive, Louie?"
I hesitated.
Her eyebrows lifted.
"Answer me."
"Yes."
The word escaped before I could decide whether I wanted to say it.
Madame Rose's smile grew.
"Do you normally find women my size attractive?"
"Sometimes."
"Sometimes?"
"Yes."
She seemed pleased by the answer.
"Tell me what you thought when you first saw me."
I felt heat rise into my face.
"I thought you were attractive."
"And?"
I tried to keep my mouth shut.
Madame Rose waited.
"And I noticed your body."
"I suspected you had."
She laughed softly.
I looked down at the ring.
"You didn't know this was going to happen, did you?"
"No," she said.
For once, there was no teasing in her voice.
"I knew the legend. I've owned that ring for eleven years. I've researched it. I've spoken with two previous owners. But legends and proof are very different things."
"So I'm your experiment?"
Madame Rose considered that.
"For the moment."
"I want to take it off."
"I know."
"Then tell me I can."
"No."
Her answer came so calmly that I almost laughed.
Almost.
"Madame Rose, this isn't funny."
"No," she said, stepping even closer. "It's fascinating."
Madame Rose walked slowly around me.
I could hear the faint sound of her heels against the wooden floor but couldn't see her when she passed behind me.
"Don't turn around."
I remained facing forward.
She appeared on my other side.
"Very good."
Something about those two words embarrassed me more than it should have.
Madame Rose stopped directly in front of me.
For several seconds, she simply studied me.
Then she glanced down at the silver ring.
"I wonder just how much power this little thing gives me."
"Madame Rose..."
"Be quiet, Louie."
My mouth closed.
Her smile widened.
"Now listen carefully."
I stared at her.
"You are deeply attracted to me."
The command struck differently from the others.
Closing a door had made my body obey. This seemed to reach directly into my thoughts.
I looked at Madame Rose, and something inside me shifted.
The woman standing before me was suddenly impossible to ignore. Her enormous figure, her confidence, the curve of her body beneath the burgundy dress, even the knowing expression on her face drew me toward her.
Madame Rose watched my reaction with fascination.
"Oh," she whispered. "It can do that too."
She stepped closer.
"You think I'm beautiful."
I did.
"You desire me."
Another wave of attraction swept through me.
Madame Rose was no longer merely the eccentric antique dealer I'd met a short time earlier. She had become the most desirable woman in the room, and I couldn't separate what I genuinely felt from what the ring was making me feel.
Then her expression became more serious.
"And you're falling in love with me, Louie."
I stared into her eyes.
The change was immediate and overwhelming.
"Madame Rose..."
She smiled at hearing her name.
"From now on, that is what you will always call me. Madame Rose."
"Yes, Madame Rose."
She reached up and gently touched my cheek.
"Good boy."
I leaned instinctively toward her hand.
Madame Rose noticed.
The uncertainty she'd shown when the ring first worked was gone now. She understood that she could command more than my movements. She could change what I wanted, whom I desired, even what I believed I felt for her.
And she was enjoying the discovery.
"Come closer, Louie."
I obeyed.
Madame Rose looked me over with a satisfied smile, as though she'd finally decided exactly what she wanted to do with me.
"There's something else I'd like you to see."
She turned and walked toward the rear of the shop.
"Follow me, Louie."
I followed without hesitation.
We passed behind the counter and through the maze of cabinets and old furniture until we reached a heavy wooden door near the back wall. I had assumed it led to a storage room.
Madame Rose took a small brass key from her necklace and unlocked it.
Beyond the door was a short hallway that looked nothing like the antique shop. A framed painting hung on one wall, and a patterned runner covered the wooden floor. At the far end, I could see part of a comfortably furnished room.
"You live back here?" I asked.
"I do."
She stepped through the doorway, then turned to face me.
"Come inside."
I crossed the threshold.
Madame Rose closed the door behind us.
She looked at the silver ring on my finger, then slowly raised her eyes to mine.
"Follow me, Louie. Today, you're going to make all of Madame Rose's fantasies come true."
I followed her through the sitting room and into the bedroom, and the moment I crossed the threshold I understood this was no storage room, no simple flat. This was the lair of a woman who had spent a lifetime surrounded by beautiful, precious things and who knew exactly how to keep them.
A four-poster bed dominated the space, its headboard carved from dark walnut, draped in wine-colored velvet that had faded soft at the edges. Lace doilies covered the bedside tables. A marble-topped vanity stood against one wall, its oval mirror gone cloudy around the rim, a silver hairbrush and crystal atomizer arranged precisely before it. The windows were dressed in heavy brocade, and the whole room smelled of lavender sachets, beeswax, and a faint trace of the perfume that clung to Madame Rose's throat.
Oil lamps had been converted to electricity, but their amber shades still threw a warm, honeyed light across everything.
Madame Rose closed the door behind us. The latch clicked like a key turning in a lock, and I felt the sound all the way down my spine.
She turned to face me, and her eyes traveled slowly from the ring on my finger to the flush I could feel rising in my cheeks.
"Look around, Louie," she said softly. "This is where I sleep. Where I dream. Where I keep the things that belong to me."
I looked. The room swam slightly, or perhaps it was just my own pulse. She was every inch of her forty-eight years, soft and immense and radiant in her tailored dress and I could not stop staring at her.
"You may kneel."
My knees hit the carpet before I had even finished deciding to obey. It was like the thought sprang from a place underneath my own will. The ring felt cool and heavy against my skin, alive in its own quiet way.
Madame Rose smiled down at me. The uncertainty she had shown earlier was long gone. Now her mouth curved with the slow, delighted satisfaction of a woman who had just discovered she owned a key to something wonderful.
"Look up at me, Louie."
I raised my eyes to hers.
"Tell me what you are."
My throat worked. Somewhere inside my skull, the part of me that was still Louie, the traveling salesman with a sales quota and a rented car waiting outside, watched from behind a pane of glass. I knew what she was doing. I knew I should have been appalled.
But she had poured love into me like warm syrup, and it had flooded every hollow place, and I could not remember why I would ever have wanted to refuse her.
"I'm yours, Madame Rose."
"Good boy."
She stepped closer, the carpet muffling her shoes, and she reached down to toy with the knot of my tie. Her fingers were plump and cool, and they worked the silk loose as easily as if she had done it a thousand times.
"Let's see what Madame Rose has to work with."
She had me undress in stages, each command spoken in that same rich, amused tone. "Take off your jacket, Louie." "Unbutton your shirt." "Sit back on your heels." My clothes pooled around me on the Oriental rug, and when I was bare before her, she made a small sound of approval and walked a slow circle around me. I felt her gaze on the backs of my thighs, on my bare shoulders, on the stubborn, aching evidence of my arousal between my legs.
"You're a handsome thing, aren't you? Thirty-two years old. Fit from walking those sales floors, I expect." She stopped behind me. Her hand descended and settled on the curve of my bare ass, squeezing firmly. "Yes, we'll have some fun with this."
A shiver went through me; the ring seemed to warm in agreement.
"Now," she said, stepping around to face me and settling her wide, heavy frame onto the edge of the bed. The mattress groaned luxuriously beneath her. "Undress Madame Rose. Slowly. And use your teeth where you can."
My hands moved before I had considered them. I crawled to her, knelt between her spread knees, and began to work the buttons of her dress with fingers that trembled for several reasons at once. Her scent was stronger up close, roses and lavender and the warm, feminine musk of her skin. Layer by layer I peeled her clothing away: the dress, silk gloves, a thick slip. When I reached her corset, I found it was a real one, steel-boned and beautifully old, and I unlaced it with the reverent care her kind of object demanded.
The breath left her as the constraint fell away, and her body spilled into the lamplight.
I had never seen a woman like her. I know that sounds like the ring talking. But the ring had only unlocked what I already felt, buried under a lifetime of magazine covers and billboards. Madame Rose was forty-eight years old and vast, breasts heavy and full as warm bread, a belly soft and deep, hips broad enough to crush a man's, thighs plush and pale. Every inch of her was generosity. Every curve was a command.
"Don't stare," she said, but the way she said it told me she loved that I was staring. "Kiss me, Louie."
I rose on my knees and kissed her, and her lips were as soft as the rest of her, and she took control of the kiss the way she took everything else, both hands fisted in my hair, tilting my head, guiding my mouth with a practiced possessiveness.
When she finally pulled back, we were both breathing hard.
"Get on the bed," she said. "On your back."
I obeyed. The mattress dipped with her weight as she climbed up after me and knelt over my chest, her thighs settling on either side of my ribs. She was so heavy and warm that my breath caught, and the sensation of her resting on me like a throne made my cock twitch against my belly.
"Look at that," she murmured. "Just a few words and this is what I get. You're like a toy I wound up in the shop." Her hand drifted down my chest, nails raking lightly through my chest hair. "My little fucktoy."
The word hit me like a pulse from the ring. I moaned.
"Ah, he likes that." She smiled, wide and wicked. "Then say it back, Louie. Tell Madame Rose what you are."
"I'm your fucktoy, Madame Rose."
She squeezed me, her hand wrapped around my cock, hot and sure, and stroked twice, three times, until my hips bucked helplessly.
"Say it again."
"I'm your fucktoy."
"Again."
"I'm your..." My voice cracked. "Your fucktoy, Madame Rose."
She laughed, a low, delighted sound that shook her whole body, and I felt every tremor of it through the thighs around my ribs.
Then she grew serious. She scooted up, straddling my face, and her soft, fragrant weight settled over my mouth like a promise.
"You haven't tasted your Mistress yet," she said. "Lick me, Louie. Make Madame Rose happy."
I licked.
The taste of her flooded over my tongue, warm and salty-sweet, the essence of her, the proof of how long she had been looking forward to this. I buried my face between her thick thighs and lapped at her cunt with a hunger that felt entirely my own. The ring hummed on my finger. Her hips rolled gently against my mouth, and her fingers found purchase in my hair again, steering me where she wanted me.
"Wider," she commanded. "Slower. Up and up, yes... that's it. Oh, that's lovely. You were made for this, weren't you, Louie?"
She helped me learn her. She was generous with her pleasure and with her directions, and every time I found the spot that made her gasp, she praised me like a beloved animal. "Good boy. Good toy. Don't stop."
I didn't stop. I could not have stopped if a fire had broken out in the room. Her thighs closed around my ears, the heat and scent of her overwhelming me, and she rode my mouth with increasing abandon until her whole body shuddered and she ground down with a breathless cry that I felt in my bones.
She came, and I drank every pulse of it.
For a long moment she simply sat above me, breath sawing in and out of her lungs. Then she lowered herself off my face and rolled heavily across the mattress beside me, pulling me onto my side to face her. Her face was pink and damp, her hair coming loose from its pins, and she looked more beautiful than she had behind the shop counter.
Deliberately, she reached down and wrapped her hand around my aching cock again. I gasped at the touch.
"Did I say you could have your pleasure until I was finished with you?" She asked. "Naughty fucktoy. Roll over."
A command snapped inside me. I was on my belly before I knew it, and the next thing I felt was her heavy hand landing flat against my bare ass, a sharp crack that echoed in the quiet room and sent a jolt of stinging heat through my hips.
"Ah!"
"Mm." Her hand rose and fell again, firm and practiced. "That one was for looking at me in the shop like you thought you had a choice. And this one" crack "is for coming close to pleasure before your Mistress granted it."
I groaned into the quilt. The spanking had lit the same circuits as her commands, the sting bloomed across my skin and traveled straight down to my cock, which had not softened, which throbbed against the mattress with a renewed hunger.
"Do you understand, Louie?"
"Yes, Madame Rose. I understand."
"Good boy." She smoothed her palm over the reddened flesh, a lingering, possessive stroke. "That's all the discipline you need for now. I want you to remember it, the next time you think you get to decide anything."
She pulled me up by the shoulder, and I turned over. The sight of her then sitting atop the rumpled velvet spread in all her soft, enormous glory, hair tumbled, breasts heavy on her chest, thighs parted—drove every thought from my head except one: mine. She is mine. I am hers. There is no difference anymore.
"On your knees, fucktoy. Let's see how well you worship."
I took her in my mouth. Her thighs closed around my shoulders, and for a long time I served her the only way I could—with my lips and my tongue, her hand in my hair, her voice guiding me. "Deeper, Louie." "Tongue out." "That's it, doll." And when she was greedy, she pulled my face into her cunt and held me there while she rocked, taking what she wanted from me until she shuddered a second time.
By then I was shaking with need, leaking against my own belly.
"Please," I heard myself beg. I had never begged in my life. "Please, Madame Rose. I need..."
"You need what, Louie?"
"Please. I need to be inside you. Please let me—"
She laughed softly and pushed my shoulder. "Lie back, then. Let your Mistress take what she wants."
I fell back onto the featherbed. Madame Rose rose above me—a mountain of soft flesh, all shadow and lamplight and curve—and straddled my hips. Her weight settled over me slowly, a heavy, delicious pressure that pressed me down into the mattress, and I felt the hot wetness of her cunt slide against the base of my cock before she reached down and guided me into her.
She sank.
God, she sank. Her body closed around me, tight and slick and impossibly warm, and she took the entire length of me until her thighs flattened against my hips and I was buried somewhere deep inside her softness. My eyes rolled back. The ring flared cool on my finger, and the love she had planted in me blossomed into worship.
"There," she breathed. "There's my good boy." She braced her hands against my chest, fingers splayed, and began to ride me.
She was in charge of everything. The rhythm, the pace, the angle. I was pinned beneath her, lost in the sheer overwhelming reality of her body—the dig of her nails in my pecs, the heavy sway of her breasts, the way her thighs flexed as she worked her hips against mine. She rode me with an expertise that made my mind white out, lecturing me in that same playful, possessive tone.
"You feel that, Louie? That's Madame Rose's pussy squeezing your cock." She rolled her hips, and I cried out. "You're the best little purchase I've made all year. And I paid for you with two minutes and a word of command."
"Yes, Madame Rose," I whimpered. "Oh, God—yes."
"Look at me."
I forced my eyes open. She was beautiful from above, a full-fleshed goddess in the amber lamplight, her face flushed with pleasure and power.
"I'm going to make you come, Louie. Then I'm going to hold you, and you're going to sleep, and when you wake up—" She rode me faster, harder, the bed banging against the wall in a rhythm older than furniture, older than fine antiques. "When you wake up, you're going to be my good little fucktoy all over again. Aren't you?"
"Yes, Madame Rose! Yes!"
"Cum for me now. Cum for your Mistress. Now."
The command detonated me. I arched up beneath her, crying out her name, and came inside her in long, helpless pulses while she rode me through it, taking every drop, purring her satisfaction. The ring burned cold on my finger, and for one crystalline moment I was aware—fully, dreadfully aware—that she controlled every part of this, that the joy flooding me was her gift, and that I could not have stopped any of it if I had wanted to.
Then the moment passed, and Madame Rose was leaning over me, pressing her soft lips to my forehead.
"Good boy," she whispered. "Madame Rose is very pleased with her new fucktoy."
I breathed, and the ceiling swam above me, and I thought, in the dim rational corner of my mind, that this was the strangest thing that had ever happened to me in an antique shop.
She lay beside me for a time, one hand stroking the sweat from my chest. Then she sighed and rose, and the bed groaned its relief.
"We'd best get you dressed," she said, already reaching for her slip. "I've kept the shop closed long enough. Can't spend the entire afternoon entertaining handsome strangers, can I?"
By the time we returned to the shop, Madame Rose looked almost exactly as she had when I'd first walked through the door.
Her burgundy dress was back in place, her dark hair had been pinned neatly again, and she'd repaired her makeup in the oval mirror above her vanity. Only a slight flush in her cheeks suggested that anything unusual had happened behind that locked wooden door.
I wasn't nearly as composed.
I straightened my tie while Madame Rose moved behind the counter, returning a few things to their proper places. She picked up my briefcase and set it on the glass counter in front of me.
"There you are, Louie."
"Thank you, Madame Rose."
The words came naturally now.
For a moment, neither of us said anything.
Then I looked down at my right hand.
The silver ring was still there.
After everything that had happened, I'd assumed she would want it back. She had owned it for eleven years. She knew what it could do now. More importantly, she knew that the legend of Sir Aldric Hadley and Lady Rosamund had been true.
But Madame Rose made no move toward it.
"Don't you want your ring?" I asked.
Her eyes dropped to my hand.
"No, Louie." A small smile appeared on her lips. "I think it belongs exactly where it is."
I stared at her.
"You're letting me keep it?"
Madame Rose came around the counter and stopped in front of me.
"Look at me, Louie."
I looked into her eyes.
Her smile disappeared. The warm, eccentric antique dealer I'd met less than two hours earlier was still there somewhere, but now I knew something about Madame Rose that nobody walking past that gold-lettered window could possibly know.
She glanced once at the ring on my finger.
Then she looked back into my eyes.
"Listen carefully, Louie. You will never take the ring off your finger. You will return here in thirty days, rain or shine, for our next session."